Hello everyone,

I have recently begun shopping for a CNC machine. Having some experience with programs similar to CAD, programming, and basic carpentry skills, a CNC machine seemed like a great choice to practice, learn, and expand. Although I am currently perplexed as to which machine to purchase. I prefer a machine that is well built, won't tilt, and can mill hardwood and aluminum. I don't mind putting a kit together. I figure, all and all, it may help me better understand how a CNC machine functions. My question for you all is, which machine should I purchase. I have a price range of up to $3,000, but would like to not extend any higher than $2,000. As of right now, my preference is the crp2448 by www.CNCROUTERPARTS.com; although, the un-assembled frame itself costs $2,000 alone. As I said earlier, I can pay up to $3,000, but am unsure how much the final cost of a completed crp2448 will amount to (an estimation would be greatly helpful and appreciated). I like the size and apparent rigidity/solidness of the crp2448 at first glance. I have seen some "open-source" mill options that cost much less, but don't know if they will hold up to almost every day use. I am a college student, and have plenty of time and projects to do, hence the need for a strong machine. I am particularly thoughtful of bent gantries due to moving milling mediums on and off the tables and other simple mistakes.

I have only been searching for a short amount of time, and am still considering the purchase all together. But any help such as 'what to look for' or 'what I can expect to pay for (xyz)' would be greatly helpful. Are there any similar machines to the crp2448 out there that are less expensive and still just as sturdy?

Thank you all and happy CNC'ing