585,956 active members*
4,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > oi-mc Tool Setter Wiring - Robodrill Mate

oi-mc Tool Setter Wiring - Robodrill Mate

Hey Everyone,

I have a new to me 2006 Robodrill Mate with an oi-mc control. I recently picked up a Metrol Tool Setter, but am not sure how to wire it in. I've read on forums for hours and find incomplete info (atleast I think)

Here is the schmatic, and the book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-07-10 12.17.14-2.jpg   2015-07-10 12.17.28-1.jpg  

Re: oi-mc Tool Setter Wiring - Robodrill Mate

is is not so complicated as it looks
    you will need the electrical diagram of your machine and you have to find the SKIP SIGNAL X4.7
    For this signal will be 2 wires,one with 24+v and another one with a number on it
    these 2 wires must be somewhere on the electrical cabinet in some place you have to find it
    if the wires are not out you will have to take them out from cable.(not an easy task)
    you also need the macro programs for measuring tool length and tool diameter but these are easy to find.
    normally if you read your electric book you will find the wires for SKIP SIGNAL and you need to connect the tool setter to them.
    when the machine moves and you touch the probe ,the machine must stop and record the absolute coordinate.
    if you have the electric diagram,scan it and we will help you.

Here is how I have it wired now, but I'm not sure if it's correct. Also, how do you wire in the over travel on the tool setter?

I'm sure there would be parameters that need to be changed too. probably on the PMC side. you would need to look in your ladder diagram manual, electrical diagram manual and PMC parameter manual to find out.

tool setter overtravel??? i never heard of it
    you need to calibrate it first with also a macro program.
    as far as i know there is no parameters to activate for it
    if you want i can give you the macro program for calibration,tool length and tool radius
    when you want to measure a tool you just need to call the macro and that's it.
    the measure value goes automatic in the offset table.
    if you want to test it just put the machine in jog mode with 50% and move the z axis down and just touch the probe ,machine must stop from moving,or touch the probe and monitor the skip signal if it is on.

there are parameters. option parameters and PMC parameters. the machine needs to know to set system macro variables (normally #1000 and above) when the skip signal condition is met. this is the overtravel he's referring to.... i.e what happens WHEN its triggered.
    you cant just bolt on a tool setting probe and expect it to work as-is without configuring it via parameters. Fanuc are not that stupid to allow this to happen so easy and for free otherwise everyone and their dog would be doing it.....
    anyway, not going to argue with you... wire it up, run the macro and see if it works.....

It's wired in, it works. Now to figure out how to use it. The book doesn't do a very good job at explaining it. Time to search!