584,862 active members*
4,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Takisawa TS-15, Spindle Drive Problem, Fuji DSR Compact, FSD-15DN23, 220V 82A Output

Takisawa TS-15, Spindle Drive Problem, Fuji DSR Compact, FSD-15DN23, 220V 82A Output

My lathe spindle came to an unusually abrupt halt a few weeks ago. Then had a buzzer alarm (having to do with the takisawa side of the electronics / the fanuc 6t didn't know what the alarm was, it just doesn't get the NC Ready signal). The lathe spindle motor was braking to stop the spindle before a tool change. During the braking it just slammed stopped, so fast that I believe you could hear the belts slip. A split second later / during this slamming brake, there was a pretty darn loud bang. I assumed something mechanical had happend. this wasn't the case. It turns out the 75A fuji ultra fast fuse had blown on the middle AC input leg on the spindle motor drive. The motor is DC / the drive is a thyristor DC drive. The fuse was the very loud bang.

So I ordered a fuse and installed it, I also replaced the MOV's as it appear that one of them might have been arced onto during the event. I got these things installed and fired up the machine. The spindle worked fine. great. Then I was varying the speed around a lot to try and stress the drive a bit. This was fine too, all the way up to max speed, and back down. However, during this varying I eventually rapidly put the speed control to minimum, so the motor had to brake hard. This resulted in the same thing - a very abrupt braking to zero speed, again so much so that the belts screeched a little. This time no bang though, and the fuse didn't blow.

Since the fuse didn't blow, now what? When I power on the machine, there is no alarm, but there is also no power applied to the motor drive. The status LED's on the front of the fuji drive just barely blink on for a split second and back out just as fast. Then nothing. The contactor that feeds the drive won't pull in. The fanuc just reports 'not ready' of course. I measured the fuses, none of them are blown. So maybe one of the SCR's actually got blown up? I don't know.

Has anyone ever had this happen on their Takisawa, or other lathe that uses a FUJI DC drive? Where the contactor won't pull in at all? / no error lamps are allowed to light because it just cuts power right away. I also measured the resistances between the inputs, outputs and GND - they're all > 500kOhm as the fuji drive manual says they should be. Apparently it is supposed to be shorted if an SCR is blown.

Re: Takisawa TS-15, Spindle Drive Problem, Fuji DSR Compact, FSD-15DN23, 220V 82A Out

the main contactor does not engage until a speed comand is given along with m03 or m04, you don't have any red lights on the board?

Re: Takisawa TS-15, Spindle Drive Problem, Fuji DSR Compact, FSD-15DN23, 220V 82A Out

Quote Originally Posted by spike696969 View Post
    the main contactor does not engage until a speed comand is given along with m03 or m04, you don't have any red lights on the board?
    That makes sense about the spindle on command.

One thing about that is I am used to hearing a contactor pull in when I power on the fanuc control. The contactor makes a sound, then the fanuc gets the NC ready signal. right now there is no contactor sound.

About the fuji drive, there are indeed no lights coming on at all. They all light simultaneously for a very small fraction of a second then go out just as fast. it has to be dark to see it. That happens when you apply power to the machine at the breaker (not at the fanuc on button).

So far I have measured the voltage rails on the fuji drive main board. They are +/-5V, +/-15V, and 24V So far the 24V measures 21V, all others are dead on.

Looks like my lathe has been down for 6 months now. wow. guess i don't use it often / made it this long doing all jobs on my mills.

So, I'm back working on it now though. I did buy a drive that has the same specs, but is not exactly the same model and is probably not going to work as a replacement (but has nice parts to scavenge maybe). Right now I am testing the DC motor as much as possible before moving back to working on the drive electronics.

To test the DC motor I am doing the following:
    1. visual inspection of brushes - there are four of them
    2. visual inspection of commutator for arc marks, mechanical grooves, etc.
    3. electrical megger to gnd test of commutator / armature (they're connected / the same thing electrically)
    4. electrical resistance measurement between adjacent positions on commutator
    5. electrical resistance measurement 180 deg apart (test leads connected to brushes, with two of four brushes removed)
    6. electrical megger test of field winding to gnd

so far, things are looking good motor wise. the motor is pretty dirty, but the insides of it are reasonably clean. the commutator had very little dust built up on it, doesnt have pits or streaks, and has a nice dark copper / black film color. the brushes are long enough altho i have no idea how old they are. the armature / commutator meggs > 27 MOhm at 500V test, or even more than that, none less than that.

the field coils look dirty though - covered with an oil/dust mixture from 20 years of running. i have not megged those out yet.