584,861 active members*
5,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > First time working with 4 axis milling (SprutCAM 8); Need help to prevent gouging

First time working with 4 axis milling (SprutCAM 8); Need help to prevent gouging

I'm working on milling a shaft using the 4-axis milling machine (A) in SprutCAM Version 8, and I can't figure out how to stop the program from gouging the part in certain areas. I was curious what items of the parameters I need to investigate to figure out this problem. Ive attached the files to access the part and the project. The tools I'm using are a 0.0400 inch and 0.1250 inch end mill. Also, Any recommendations to make the part come out as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated as well. My tools are limited, but if you feel there would be better tools for me to use for this project, I can order them. Thanks!

Re: First time working with 4 axis milling (SprutCAM 8); Need help to prevent gouging

Can you identify where in the program the gouges occur, and make sure your tool is retracted enough for clearance.

Ate you using the center axis as the reference to determine your z height? If you don't do this you will get gouging for sure.
    Nyccnc did a great tutorial on YouTube that helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by brokellermann View Post
    I'm working on milling a shaft using the 4-axis milling machine (A) in SprutCAM Version 8, and I can't figure out how to stop the program from gouging the part in certain areas. I was curious what items of the parameters I need to investigate to figure out this problem. Ive attached the files to access the part and the project. The tools I'm using are a 0.0400 inch and 0.1250 inch end mill. Also, Any recommendations to make the part come out as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated as well. My tools are limited, but if you feel there would be better tools for me to use for this project, I can order them. Thanks!

Re: First time working with 4 axis milling (SprutCAM 8); Need help to prevent gouging

I went through a similar process with trying to get smooth-as-possible surfaces with Tormach's Rotary 4th axis. Here are some of the things I figured out that may be useful to you:

1) Tighten up your deviation. I was going for at least 0.001" and sometimes 0.0001". Each factor of ten of accuracy I required seemed to increase SprutCAM's calculation time by about 10 fold factor. One part required 6+ hours of SprutCAM calculation time. So you'll have to be judicious on what you choose. This change cleared up a lot of my gouging errors.
    2) Get a new rev of the Tormach postprocessor file that fixes some problems with 4th axis. I got this through talking to them over the phone (it's a Rev D that I'm now using instead of Rev B), though I expect they'll an updated version available on the website once it's been tested thoroughly.
    3) Make your "step" and depth of cut parameters as small as you can tolerate. Depending on how you're planning to do the cutting and your surfaces, you may need to change both. The surfaces I have been working on are curves in all 3 dimensions and require pretty small steps to make the piece fine enough for my use.

I hope this helps!