585,604 active members*
3,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Help needed with toolpath.
Page 1 of 2 12

Help needed with toolpath.

I am going to make a inlet to my hobby tuning engine, I need to cut a part that starts out with a circle with a dia of 48mm and ends up with a rectangulare shape 27x51mm with a 27/2 radius in the cornes. the geometries should convert to each other on a lenght about 40-45mm..

I managed to draw this shape in Autocad as a surface, is it possible to make a toolpath from that in Mc 9 ?

Mabe there are somone out there that could help me with this? Thanks..

Will update with drawing..

I don't see why you can't. Save the file as DXF,DWG or IGES, import to MC, then you can make toolpath from there.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

SO you want to toolpath a small engin port if so yes for sure can you share the file that you are trying to cut?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

yes, it can ,you must save this file dxf format and open the mc9 and change
    the units setting as same as that you have drawn in auocad file.ok,

the following commands U have to enter
    from menu bar ,file ,next,conveter,auotdesk(dxf),write,
    so U choose desire file to convert to MC file
    U will see wire frame cause if U want to convert autocad to mastercam with dxf format ,U must explod the polyline and solid in autocad.and gain only the wire frame,use the surface tool in mastercam and create the surface .in your case,rule suface is sutiable ,that I think.after crearteing to suface you have chosen the toolpaths,jobsetup,
    ok,you try it .there is a problem in work,tell back me to again this is my mail address
    [email protected]

if you are creating a solid in autodesk and outputing a DXF the file can still maintain a solid in this formate and be brought into mastercam thru the DXF format.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

it is a surface, I cant create a solid in Acad with this shape..

You can just bring the DWG file right in still.
    Cadcam

I am learning how to do this also, but occasionally the DXF files come in with "open" chains, how do I "close" these up ? I have tried setting the parameter setting to .005, but that doesen't allways work. Any help would be appreciated, THX,
    Halfnutz

why create in autocad when you can do it all in mastercam?
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-king View Post
    why create in autocad when you can do it all in mastercam?
    There are thousands of drawings and geometry allready done in DXF, IGES, STL, DWG, PGM etc....

Re-drawing everything in MC would be a waste of alot of time. Most of the stuff I cut is existing art or geometry in other file formats, but sometimes the chains (lines) are "broken" or fragmented.

There has to be an easy way to "close" broken chains, I just wish I knew how to do it!
    Halfnutz

I hope no one shoots me for this, but I am still using BCC V21.5.2 at my friends shop to clean drawings for MC. If the drawing is a parametric he uses SW (No idea which one)

The UI in MC is totally different than BCC. There should be something in MC to Trim and Extend geometry. Is there a Cleanup and Optimize function in MC that could be used for this?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
    There are thousands of drawings and geometry allready done in DXF, IGES, STL, DWG, PGM etc....

Re-drawing everything in MC would be a waste of alot of time. Most of the stuff I cut is existing art or geometry in other file formats, but sometimes the chains (lines) are "broken" or fragmented.

There has to be an easy way to "close" broken chains, I just wish I knew how to do it!
    there are some c-hooks available from MC's website that will take care of that for you i am not sure which one it is since i downloaded it about 3 yrs ago
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Thanks,CNC-King, that gives me somewhere to start at least.
    Halfnutz

Toby there are tons more option in MC to clean files that were done incorrectly in Autocad. this has been a 20 year fight fixing files from Autocad designers that don't really know how to use a cad program.

Halfnutz share one of the trouble files . I will go thru it adjust it and tell you what options I used . that way you have a place to start.

What version of MC are you using so I can use the same one. I have on this computer V8,V9,VXMR1,VxMR2 & VX2
    Cadcam

CadCam,
    Here is one I was trying to pocket sections and the chains were "broken". I have MC9.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Halfnutz

Well lets see I brought your file in said toolpath pocket and used area to pick the inside area of each deatail and 60 sec I had the path. the was a great file.

Do you have one that has problems with the chaining.
    I will share the file back with the paths if you want.

jay
    Cadcam

ok make it easer go toolpath pocket use window and put window around the part and pick a chain point and go.
    Cadcam

PS contour works the same sir.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Toby there are tons more option in MC to clean files that were done incorrectly in Autocad. this has been a 20 year fight fixing files from Autocad designers that don't really know how to use a cad program.

Halfnutz share one of the trouble files . I will go thru it adjust it and tell you what options I used . that way you have a place to start.

What version of MC are you using so I can use the same one. I have on this computer V8,V9,VXMR1,VxMR2 & VX2

File Translation seems to be the big issue accross the globe. I can't tell you how many times a file had to be resaved and sent back only to get it right on the third or fourth try. That is all softwares no matter how much one has paid.

Most of the time if you close all other programs and resave it works. Sometimes you have to do it over and over. IGES (International Graphic Exchange) was supposed to fix this years ago. It turns out that there are like 6 different versions which makes it the worst translater. STEP Files seem to be the ticket with the least problems.

I read on the eMastercam Forum that MC7 users are having a little trouble with Translating to X, and X2. It is difficult for a Software Creator make things Transferable without problems. That is the price one pays for changing Technology. Not anyones fault really, just another hump to get over at the Job.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I wish itworked like that for me, but like I said, the chains are broken when I try to do it. If you can share the file maybe it would help, I dont know why I'm having problems with it.
    Halfnutz

Page 1 of 2 12