585,749 active members*
3,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tabs

Tabs

I have Cut2D and BobCAD. Cut2D lets you place tabs around the design to keep it in place
    while the head is cutting. I like BobCAD due to its many editing and drawing features. However,
    I can't find any way to put tabs into the workpiece. I searched the forum and there was a mention
    that BobCAD did not support tabs unless you had the Nest addon, but that was from 2010.
    Does anybody know if that is still the case? I have BobCAD V25 from 2013.
    Thanks!
    Jim

Re: Tabs

Hi Jim

The simple version is, BobCAD doesn't have a tab feature built in, and the BobNest addon was a bit quirky and cumbersome, last time I looked. That's the bad news. The (sorta) good news is, it's relatively easy to add tabs manually.

Burrman made a video showing the basic method a while back, and I've used it extensively. Here's that video, which gets the basic method across very nicely.https://youtu.be/OkhaMhH4Yfs

The disadvantage to this method is, it's kinda slow, compared to a real automatic tabbing feature. The advantage is, it gives you complete control over the tabs. You can beef up or slim down individual tabs to suit the stress needs of the parts, and place them however you wish. In the video, Burrman uses lines to define his profile breaks, while I tend to use circles, which double as clearance references in tight spaces, as I'm laying out the tabs on a sheet of parts.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Hi Jr!

I had some family issues come up, with my elderly parents, and then about the time I got things sorted out, I found out that a lady I've known for years is now my fiance, so that's taken up a ton of my time. I've missed the forum, and all the great folks here, though, so I decided to just start throwing elbows until I cleared some time to get back to posting. Hope everyone's doing well!

Luke

V28 has tabs.It seems to work,at least as much as I tested it.
    Fast and painless to set-up

I haven't tried the v28 demo yet. If they've put a real tab wizard in, router users, especially, will rejoice!

Luke