585,717 active members*
3,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Flat land finishing

Flat land finishing

I am creating a flatland finish operation for the bottom of a pocket. I only want to machine the bottom.

When I do this in Version 10.5 of Edgecam the software creates a extra toolpath that machines the side of the pocket also.
    +
    How do I get the software not to create that extra toolpath that is machining the sides of the pocket?

Thank You

When I want to finish the floof of a pocket I use a Roughing and make the cut amount = or > than the full depth. It goes right to the depth and cuts the floor. Then you can leave stock on the XY so it does not cut the walls.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Use The Stepover Option...this Will Keep You Away From Walls
    ...if The Tool Is Machining The Top Edge Of The Part Use A Level Of
    -.01 --and Compensate For The Level When Entering Depth (if Wireframe)
    If Milling A Solid Then Use A Level Of -.01 And Check Associative Next To Depth
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Try this link

I am interested in Edgecam and found this site to be really useful, with many practical demo vids of Edgecam. I think I remember seeing a video which covers this subject.

http://www.camforce.com/Services/Downloads.htm

Hope you figure it out.

Edgecam does behave a bit odd when machining flat lands from solid models if you have the level set at zero. I find that edgecam wants to machine at the top of the pocket as well as the base. To overcome this I would recomend making the level -1 and the depth zero but asociative.

John

Putting a value in the "Stand Off Distance" field will keep the tool off the side walls allowing you to finish it with a Profiling cycle.
    Mike W.