585,763 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What can you cut with 45W?

Newbie here. I've had a CNC milling machine for several years (so I'm familiar with making things), and have ordered a number of laser-cut parts from service bureaus, but I now have an opportunity to buy a used Epilog Helix (45W) from a friend who's used it mainly for engraving. I'm mostly interested in cutting, though, and I'm wondering what I could cut in one pass with it. I'd primarily be using it on acrylic and MDF, both in the .125" - .25" range, though it would be nice to occasionally go up to .5". Is this feasible? Thanks. Anything else I should know (probably lots)?

No way on 0.5" single pass.

MDF single pass 0.25" most likely yes single pass, but I'm not 100% sure, you should check with your friend

Acrylic, single pass no 0.5", no 0.25", yes 0.125"

The epilogs are nice machines if they are well taken care of. I'd recommend you take all of these materials to your friend and watch the machine cut it. Cutting takes more power than engraving typically, that would be an easy way to make sure you're happy with the power 45 watts gives you in advance of buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Involute View Post
    Newbie here. I've had a CNC milling machine for several years (so I'm familiar with making things), and have ordered a number of laser-cut parts from service bureaus, but I now have an opportunity to buy a used Epilog Helix (45W) from a friend who's used it mainly for engraving. I'm mostly interested in cutting, though, and I'm wondering what I could cut in one pass with it. I'd primarily be using it on acrylic and MDF, both in the .125" - .25" range, though it would be nice to occasionally go up to .5". Is this feasible? Thanks. Anything else I should know (probably lots)?