585,717 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle orient and A axis smoothing

Spindle orient and A axis smoothing

I have an air spindle and it helps if the machine spindle doesn't rotate while using it. Is there an M code or a way to lock the spindle position while machining with the aux. air spindle?

Also the A axis is very jerky with a long series of small moves, is there a parameter or setting to smooth it out?

Thanks
    Joe V.

Usually M05 is the best you have for holding the spindle in place.
    You will have to try it and see if it is acceptable. Their may be some
    drifting and or searching while in M05.
    M05 is for locking the spindle in place while M06 is active and or Orientation
    during a bore cycle and the tool needs to be orientated for retracting a
    single point boring tool from the bored hole.
    Hope this helps with your problem.
    A Axis problems, tune the drive.
    Regards Walt.

On Haas machines M05 is spindle stop and once it is stopped it is free to rotate. M19 Pppp is spindle orientation; P0.0 is the tool change position but any position can be specified. With M19 the spindle is held at the P position but not very accurately.

061119-2133 EST usa

1ctoolfool:

Consider the Tapmatic reaction torque method.

I do not know how you do a G01 at 0 RPM. Maybe Geof can help on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    061119-2133 EST usa

1ctoolfool:

Consider the Tapmatic reaction torque method.

I do not know how you do a G01 at 0 RPM. Maybe Geof can help on that.

My older machines give an error if you try a G01 at zero spindle speed but the later machines will move with a stationary spindle.

Sorry folks, M05 on an Excello included M19. I forgetted about M19 being
    a command all of its own. Slap Slap, Dope Dope.
    Nevertheless, you are correct, I would not hurt to give the machine a
    M19 and look at the spindle key with an indicator to see how steady the
    spindle is holding. Sometimes it will indeed search and search but it may be
    tuned for a tighter position. Some machines shut the drive down and some
    machines hold the spindle with cross fire from the drive.
    Clamping the spindle inposition presents an entirely different set of problems. I mean with a external mechanical clamp.
    Regards Walt...

Was out of subject lol!

I have some info on your A axis problem, but you may not like it... I went through the same thing recently. What model VF do you have? Do you have the high speed option inthe control?

I have a 1999 VF0-E (now VF-2) with the high speed option in the control. When I bought the machine, I asked if it would be possible to run a 4th axis also at high speed. They said "sure". Yeah, right.

Later I bought a 4th axis. And, lo and behold, once hooked up, it exhibited exactly the same symptoms as you describe. After much back and forth, I was finally informed that it was indeed not possible to have high speed performance with a 4th axis without having a co-processor on the main board. This would require replacing the main board and installing new machine software. I managed to get a deep discount on this because they had promised me it would work, but I still had to pay a good chunk of cash to do it.

Once that was installed, the 4th axis was tested - and whaddya know - it was exactly the same as before. Then, after much head scratching, the tech went in and adjusted a parameter for the 4th axis - I don't remember exactly which number now, but it was something like the number of encoder steps within which the control would consider the 4th axis to be "in position". i.e. he opened up the position window. Once that was done, it ran very smoothly.

So, I have no idea if the co-processor was really necessary - of course, they swear it is. I might try adjusting this parameter first. But I don't remember which one... Also I have no idea if that will significantly affect accuracy when running at high speed. I don't need to be that accurate, fortunately.

Anyway, maybe this helps, maybe not... --ch

a axis parameter

see if the parameter you mention is number 104.
    this is what they reccommended I change, haven't tried it yet.
    thanks
    jv

It's possible. Since I'm on vacation, I will not be near the machine for another couple of weeks, so I cannot confirm this. --ch