585,759 active members*
3,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

850 SX tapping

Thanks in advance! I have a problem here, Im using a Cincinnati Avenger with an 850sx control. Ive got solid tapping to work, guessing its the same as rigid tapping? but the problem is the threads come out torn up looking, Im tapping a 3/4-10 hole 1.25" deep in 316L Stainless. I asked for a floating tap head and was told no, I'm being ridden pretty hard to get this going since we have 9000 parts to make, and between the threads and the tool life I'm up against a wall, if I can remedy the thread problem Im hoping it will help the taps last longer, I tried a forming tap but the machine doesn't have the HP to turn it, Im using a spiral flute tap now with coolant, not through, should I put a program stop in and use cutting oil? sorry for all the questions, I'm more at home in front of a mill, but it doesnt change the fact I need to get this going, thanks again

:4G0G62G70G97S100M4M6T8X.0Z.1M8
    G95G01X0.0F.1
    G0Z.05
    M19
    G97 S100 M4
    G95G01Z0.F.1
    G84Z-1.25 R0.0 F.1 S100
    G0Z.5
    M5
    M50
    M01

Re: 850 SX tapping

You need to look at the gain and balance of the Z axis and the correct spindle speed in both directions and balance. Something is not set up correctly and is causing your problem. Sounds like you need a tune up!!! On a machining center the code is G84.1 for rigid tapping, look in your programming book for the example.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Yeah i definitely need a tune up haha, my machine has 45k hours on it, part of the problem is the turret, not going into position correctly, I'm in the process of tearing it down to check it out, I ended up buying a floating tap head with my own money to save the headache on that part, I took a look in the programming manual and I didn't see anything about g84.1 but I'll definitely look harder, I know thats the code i use on the fadals when I'm milling, thanks!

:5G0G62G70G97S100M4M6T8X.0Z.1
    G95G01X0.0F.1M8
    G0Z.05M0
    M19
    G97S100M4
    G95G01Z0.F.1M8
    G84Z-1.25R0.0F.1S100
    M9
    G0Z.5
    M5
    M50
    M01

Can anyone tell me how i can get rid of the 15 sec dwell at the end? it comes out to Z.1 and dwells at that point for the 15 sec. thanks

Well 10 rev anyway. its at 60 rpm so it takes about 10-15 sec. It says that it does that in the manual. just wondering if there was a way to override it, because that I don't see in the manual

Another thought going through the programming manual. The D0x command for tapping, increased retract rate. but its not rotary, but does anyone use this with a fixed tap? i tried it but got c axis not present error, and wrong master spindle errors with different codes. just trying to speed things up, thanks a lot for reading

I checked our 850Sx control manuals and parameter lists and it looks like a .5 second dwell is fixed at the bottom of the tap cycle. I could not find any parameter to change the dwell time. It looks like the standard lathe doesn't have a ridge tap cycle, you would need the C axis option on the spindle. You will need a spring tap holder. You may need a tune up of the spindle drive and the Z axis.

Mike http://cncmachineservices.com

Gotcha, thanks, I'll just run with it the way it is.

How do I go about tuning up the Z axis? The feed doesn't seem consistent and it is starting to eat taps. floating head is still good but the reverse feed seems jerky and maybe a tad faster as well. I tried searching for parts but maybe i have them misnamed? Thanks

Where is the Z axis resolver? I can't seem to find mention of it in any of the manuals, only the spindle resolver/encoder. Tried searching to find a picture of the part, but to no avail there either. I found a sensor that rides with the Z axis but I'm not sure if thats it. Machine is Avenger 250 T

Why?

It is in the z axis motor.

I'm trying to paint a picture of component location because in my manuals all i can find is spindle info, nothing about axis. There is a sensor that rides along the z axis that was getting coolant on it and I wanted to make sure. I've remedied that situation. I did find a servo adjustment table in one, and a bunch of the values don't match so I'm going to get that sorted out before i move on. The control is showing axis errors in the servo set menu.

10-4. Learning, makes sense!

Since you are trying to learn a lot about your machine, I would strongly recommend a visit by Mike Eckardt to 'tune' your machine. He is very good at teaching what all the hardware does and means.

I wish I were closer, i'd give him a call. Unfortunately I'm in Idaho