585,719 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mini Mill G540 Box wiring

Hey guys! I'm putting together a LMS mini mill nc conversion. I bought the Automation Technology Inc "aluminum box for G540 controller" enclosure, and their G540 3 axis motor kit. The box comes with a few electrical components, on/off switch, ac input, ac output, fuse holder, Estop switch, etc. I also got a 110vac fan like the one they sell. I asked them if they had a wiring diagram for this enclosure and I was informed that they do not have one for the box, and referred me to the G540 user manual and the enclosure blueprint, which do not depict anything related to the 110v ac circuit. Is there a schematic out there somewhere for this? it doesn't look that complex, its just I'm new to wiring and I don't want to melt anything. Thanks for any help!

Re: Mini Mill G540 Box wiring

G540's schematic diagrams are informative, and meant to confront your issue. AC goes to the power supply, which is marked at the rear, by the wire screw downs. Know your connections before you charge up.

Hey thanks, but that's already known. As I already stated, those diagrams don't depict anything about the box 110ac wiring, other than the 110v ac into the power supply. What I am looking for is how to wire the components in the box, that then lead into the power supply as I indicatred in the original post. Thanks again.

I would wire the AC to the switch on the front, and then to a distribution block which would feed to the DC power supply and the AC fan.

Given that mains wiring can be daunting, one would anticipate that a supplier would at least provide some information ...
    CS900's description is a little light on the detail Juiblex needs!

I presume an illuminated mains switch? In which case the two wires from the mains input normally go to the middle pair of pins on the switch. Then the side pair of pins wire to the mains in on the Power supply and to the fan. As CS900 says, a distribution block may make this wiring easier, but that depends on the terminals on the PSU. I normally supply suitable spade and crimp connectors to make the job easier to do
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

A harsh but fairly fair comment would be that since mains wiring can KILL you, if you don't know what you are doing, DON'T DO IT! Get someone else who does have the knowledge to do it for you.

Which may explain WHY they don't give more detailed instructions. They do not want to be liable for YOUR mistakes.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Which may explain WHY they don't give more detailed instructions. They do not want to be liable for YOUR mistakes.
    True ... but then why sell something that they do not want to take responsibility for?
    Even being confident about making safe 240V wiring, I would still have to dig out a data sheet on the switch to find the wiring details, and that is the sort of information that should be provided with the product? There is not even a part number to look it up.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

why sell something that they do not want to take responsibility for?
    * A lot of their customers DO know what they are doing with mains wiring etc
    * Someone experienced with mains wiring probably won't need a diagram to know how to wire a switch.

Look, I understand your problem, but please: find someone who knows what he is doing with mains wiring. We don't want you dead.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    * Someone experienced with mains wiring probably won't need a diagram to know how to wire a switch.
    The question I asked was if the switch was illuminated ... that is not clear from the information. If it isn't then one can be more relaxed on how it is wired up. If it is illuminated then someone with experience knows that you have to get the incoming mains on the right pair of pins.

Personally from a safety point of view I would prefer to see an illuminated switch, and that is the sort of area I would expect to 'take responsibility for' ... advising on just what the safe way of doing things is ... rather than just providing kit without the useful information needed even by a competent electrician to complete the work?

If the missing information is made available we can advise Juiblex how to SAFELY complete the job, but that information is currently lacking .... I have just realised that there is also a mains outlet on the box, and that does complicate things. If the box is also powering the machine spindle then a second mains switch would be prudent!
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

The question I asked was if the switch was illuminated ... that is not clear from the information. If it isn't then one can be more relaxed on how it is wired up. If it is illuminated then someone with experience knows that you have to get the incoming mains on the right pair of pins.
    I have one of these boxes, the switch is illuminated.

Regards,

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by rythmnbls View Post
    I have one of these boxes, the switch is illuminated.
    Spill the beans then!
    Which pair of pins is the light connected to
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Thanks for the reply's guys.I have a little wiring experience in that I have wired some 110v ac in my garage without killing myself and everything works great. it's easy when you know where every goes. I am not sure where to wire the 110v ac in this box but looks fairly simple. I am a decent Machinist but a novice Electrician, but with a schematic or knowledge of what to do I feel I can wire safely. I have a multimeter and can check my work. I probably have less than 40 hours working with wires, so when I say I'm new to this, I am not completely in the dark. The Ac input has 3 connections, the fuse 2, the ac output 3, the fan 2 with a ground boss and the illuminated switch has 4 (2 near the center of the switch housing and 2 below that). I dont think I will need a distribution block as I can probably just run wires to the power supply from whereever they are supposed to come from. Perhaps I can post some pics tonight after work.

Hi

is the mains switch single or double pole ?

have a look at this data sheet -

Attachment 287446

john

Attachment 287514
    Attachment 287516
    Main Power Switch
    Attachment 287518
    Attachment 287520
    Ac in/out, fuse and fan portal

The switch is just a DPST switch and the lighting circuit is internal to the switch, and all of those items are about as basic as it gets.

The fact that you are asking about how to wire those simple devices leads me to believe you shouldn't be doing it yourself.

Have you read the whole thread? I am asking for help. That means that I will not be doing it by myself. Just because I am not sure where the wires go, doesn't mean that I am inept. Pointing out the obvious is not helping, if you want to help, post a viable schematic.

If you have a multimeter, you should be able to find out how to write it. Most likely, input is on the two wires in the middle and output is on the two at the end. Measure resistance across the two at the end. If you get some reasonable resistance, then that would measure across the light and would indicate output (provided you want the light on only when the switch is on).

Juiblex ... it is highly likely that the light on the switch is connected to the pair of contacts in the middle of the switch, so the mains from the inlet goes to the pair at the bottom of your picture, and then the feed to the fan and PSU come from the middle. In the UK, the fuse is normally already wired into the inlet, but here dubiously the 'hot' wire from the inlet needs to be wired via the fuse holder. ( Neon light can't be measured with a multimeter )
    That just leaves how you wire up the mains outlet, which you only need to worry about if you have a mains spindle on the machine ...
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Hi Juiblex

have you had a look at this wiring diagram from Homman designs :-

Attachment 287536

when you connect the fuse holder make sure the live supply goes to the tag on the end of the holder and not the tag on the side
    ( if the tag on the side is live when you insert or remove a good fuse you can get a shock if your touching the fuse ! )

Attachment 287538

I've not found the exact switch you have used but this is how I expect the connections to be with the neon indicator across terminals 2 & 5 :-

Attachment 287540

if I'm wrong and the the neon is across 1 & 4 connect the supply to 2 & 5 instead

John

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Have you had a look at this wiring diagram from Homman designs :-
    That opens another can of worms ... Running the EStop switch into the mains wiring may seem like a good idea, and with the switch mode power supplies it is probably something less of a problem, but when using the Chinese drivers with a large linear power supply the DC rail can hold up for many seconds, so a second contact on the estop disabling the drivers may be appropriate.
    What sort of hold up time would one expect with the G540 and power supply?
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Page 1 of 2 12