585,753 active members*
4,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cricut, Xyron, cutter blades

Hi all,

I have an old plotter I'm trying to actually convert to a paper cutter. I tried mouting an exacto-like rotary knife on it, but the plotter doesn't seem to maybe have enuf nuts yet to handle that situation.

However while I was at the scrapbook store looking at swivel knives, I noticed the new "Cricut" machine, which cuts paper, etc. I saw replacement blades for it and it actually looked like they were in the shape of a nail , rather than a blade.

So in other words, it was a cylinder that went down to a point at the end. Probably a sharp point, but it did not look like a blade to me.

I don't know what the blade on a xyron machine looks like.

Anyone else have any input? I swear the "blade" was just a sharpened cylinder.

Like attachment picture.

Maybe the cricut uses the method that the crayola cutter uses, and moves the blade up and down really really fast. Maybe that's how it got its name?..(it's pronounced "cricket"). I have no idea since I have not seen one in action in real life (I only watched the video they have on their website)

Anyone else
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blade.jpg  

Hi,
    My wife and I just got the Cricut Expression, I was just looking at the blade and I beleive the cone shaped part you seen is actually the top of the blade. It is held in place by a magnet and the cone shape probably serves as a pivot point. The bottom(cutting edge) looks like a tiny x-acto blade. I hope this helps- Robbie
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Blades are held into the holder magnetically. A knob on top of holder rotates to adjust blade depth. I have been doing some repair work on cricuts and see why they can do such a great job cutting. Besides the blade holder it has a short stroke solinoid that can vary pressure.