585,698 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > General CAD package for designing part and producing files for other to manufacture ?

General CAD package for designing part and producing files for other to manufacture ?

I’m looking for a CAD packages which will enable me to create models which I can output in a format for someone else to manufacture. I have no current ambitions to do my own CNC work. I do have a lathe and mill which I use to fit and design parts.

By way of example. I want to fit some different front forks to a motorbike. The forks will be larger and wider. All the measurements I can perform myself and I also do all the checking so that I know the forks will fit as I expect. I want to have new triple clamps made to my design. I have this expectation that if I draw the triple clamps using a CAD package I can then send a file to a manufacture who can then using CNC technology produce the part.

So what sort of package would be suitable for drawing parts and producing output files for others to manufacture ?

I think SolidWorks is the greatest thing going.

It is expensive (somewhat) but the maintenance fees piss me off more than the original price.

If I were starting up a "work-from-home" shop I would be looking at Rhino or Alibre.

IMO they fizzle in the greatness of SolidWorks BUT they are half the initial cost (or less) and have no maintenance fees (that I know of).

For part production you will get exactly what you want if;

1) You provide a detailed drawing with tolerances and surface finishes. .DWG or .DXF is universal.

2) Provide a 3d model of the part in parasolid, iges or step as well as an stl.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

DareBee, what is the cost of solidworks ?

Rough price 6000
    Maintenance 2000
    www.integratedmechanical.ca