585,996 active members*
4,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Hawk150 VFS5 Spindle Drive Fault

Hawk150 VFS5 Spindle Drive Fault

We are restoring a Hawk 150 and are very nearly there.
    We now are left with a Spindle drive fault which we need some advice and help on please.

If I try to align or jog the spindle, it shows waiting for feedback, nothing moves then the fault LED comes on the drive.
    On start up (1st green button press), you can spin the chuck by hand and the C axis position changes on the screen.
    After the 2nd green button press, machine power on, the C axis position doesnt change on the screen.

Having followed a previous thread, I can now connect to the drive via motionlink plus.
    I have downloaded the attached settings but when i try to download the program it says it is blocked ?

Has anyone seen this fault before or give me some instruction on how to proceed?

Many Thanks
    Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Hawk150 VFS5 Spindle Drive Fault

Will dblcheck my memory at computer in office shortly. Meanwhile I believe in terminal mode motion link plus you can hit the escape twice to get to equal equal greater than background program and type err hist to see your faults in English.

tnx for PM. So with ML plus, when it turns on, say ignore the running program, and go on anyway. go to terminal, type ERR HIST enter.... you will get list of last 10 errors; last one at top. post them here for comments?

we use resolver in spindle motor for feedback; some of the machine models used our enc equiv output for pos fdbk to a2100; the hawk may have sep encoder on spindle shaft tho IIRC. In any case, if our resolver was bad, it would fault immediately; so no clue what a2100 is saying when that message.

so no fault led now means it is running?

your .TL file looks fine - except for some extra ; where they do not belong - possible indication of BRAM battery failure.

Locked means the .BDS program & .VAR variable list has password protection; we are not allowed to give that out - it is owned by whoever last owner of the drives sales were (cmi, then vickers, now siemens).

no replaceable battery; it is imbedded in the RAM chip. We have to reload the program and set a few other behind the scene variables when we replace it so not possible in the field.

Ian, you do not show location; are you in Ireland? Just curious.

For sometime after batt gets so low, folks can power on/off machine a half dozen times and finally get it to run - until next power turn off; so if you have a job that HAS to get done, give it a try.

Hi Mike,
    The spindle still won't align, it says waiting for feedback that displays drive not ready error.
    The Drive fault LED doesn't come on though at this point anymore.
    I have connected to teh drive via ML+ and the last 10 errors are all: ERR80 INVALID INSTRUCTION.
    Does this shed any further light ?

I am based in Manchester, England.
    Many Thanks
    Ian

UNLESS IT TOOK you 10 or more tries to get the err hist out, and these are YOUR errors trying to see the list, then it means the BRAM likely needs replaced. I wish we had a place, or knew a place, in UK to do it, but we don't. Sorry. Used to have a feller there who frequented this forum who might have replaced it for you but I have not seen him on for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    tnx for PM. So with ML plus, when it turns on, say ignore the running program, and go on anyway. go to terminal, type ERR HIST enter.... you will get list of last 10 errors; last one at top. post them here for comments?

we use resolver in spindle motor for feedback; some of the machine models used our enc equiv output for pos fdbk to a2100; the hawk may have sep encoder on spindle shaft tho IIRC. In any case, if our resolver was bad, it would fault immediately; so no clue what a2100 is saying when that message.

so no fault led now means it is running?

your .TL file looks fine - except for some extra ; where they do not belong - possible indication of BRAM battery failure.

Locked means the .BDS program & .VAR variable list has password protection; we are not allowed to give that out - it is owned by whoever last owner of the drives sales were (cmi, then vickers, now siemens).

no replaceable battery; it is imbedded in the RAM chip. We have to reload the program and set a few other behind the scene variables when we replace it so not possible in the field.

Ian, you do not show location; are you in Ireland? Just curious.

For sometime after batt gets so low, folks can power on/off machine a half dozen times and finally get it to run - until next power turn off; so if you have a job that HAS to get done, give it a try.
    HI Mike

I have a VFS5 problem , how I can see the TL file because I used motion link plus show: ERROR 27 “R/D JUMPERS” SEVERITY 3
    Either the jumpers on your VECTORSTAR MC2 card are incorrectly set or the wrong TL has been loaded. Contact the factory

I found this:
    9.6.5 TL Sheet
    The VECTORSTAR is shipped with a normal TL sheet
    (factory settable parameters) and a list of all the programmable
    variables. All the parameters mentioned in this
    chapter are set to the default values by the factory and
    are included in the TL sheet.

Here is my History problem:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cincin...are-forum.html

regards

I will read your post there and reply....