585,956 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Lead screw lube amount. servo belt replacement

Lead screw lube amount. servo belt replacement

My mill is down right now due to spindle failure so I have taken some time to look over the rest of the rig for issues. First question is how often should the servo belts be replaced? I know these sat without use for years before I put the mill back in service last year. Upon removal, the belts do not appear to have any memory or distortion but I know that means little. I am suspecting them in some noise issues upon axial movement.

Also, it seems as my X axis lead screw is rather dry (without lube) compaired to my Y axis screw. Hell, I might even say it is not lubing. It does have a lube tube going to the ball nut. I am thinking of blowing compressed air through the line just to the ball nut so dislodge any blockage. The rest of the rig seems to be lubing great. The X screw does not seem to have any rough spots for catches in its get along but this is concerning for wear. Any thoughts?

B

It seems that belts would cost little enough to justify their replacement. Any rubber product deteriorates when left unused for a long period of time. As a matter of fact, I would replace all the ruber parts on the machine while it is down.

Get the lubrication issue taken care of ASAP. Ballscrews require lubrication and you'l ruin it if it is run dry very long. An expensive little mistake!

I am no expert though, just my humble two cents.

How about some details and pictures?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I guess on the belts, I would like to know how often they "should" be replaced? Do they affect the precision of the machine or is that just in the tension of the belt? Is there something to look for before replacement. Is there a certain brand to look for? Will the brand really affect the accuracy?

B