584,879 active members*
5,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Budgeting for an All-in-One: Robotic Arm CNC/Welder/Plasma Cutter

Budgeting for an All-in-One: Robotic Arm CNC/Welder/Plasma Cutter

:idea:
    I had an opportunity to use my universities 3-axis CNC [mastercam] milling machine for the past 4 years and have become familiar with RhinoCam. I find myself thinking of endless-possibilities to help jump start my creativity and passion that will allow me to bridge digital fabrication and 3D modeling.

I am currently in the market to purchase an Automated 5-axis 6-axis Robotic Arm + Controller + Teach Pendant + CNC Spindle + Cam Software.

I am not looking for an arm due to aesthetic/romanticism related to the look, but rather multi-platform use.

I plan to use a unit like this for the following pursuits:

+ CNC Milling
    + Plasma Cutting
    + Foam Wire Cutting
    + Spray Paint
    + 3d Printing

I have found the following units in my budget range:

Brand: KUKA
    Model:150 KR150L SP/2
    Year: 1998
    Controller: Not Included
    Power Type: 3-Phase
    Voltage: Unknown
    questions about this model are related to the following:

• How can I determine the milling software to operate this model?
    • Does the Manufacturer Year play a deterring factor in performance?
    • Can I pair up Controllers and Teach Pendents from Different Models or Manufacturers?
    • Will any current CNC Spindle work to connect and become recognized on most units?
    • Are there any inspection cues that can help minimize buying a faulty unit? [what would you do?]
    • Would 2-4K be a good price for a used unit ranging from 1996-2004?
    XYZ or UV Surface or G-Code - its relative

Re: Budgeting for an All-in-One: Robotic Arm CNC/Welder/Plasma Cutter

If the controller isn't included, I'd stay away from that deal. Often the servos used on robot arms use a proprietary system to run, and won't be compatible with other controllers. There is some software you might be able to use, but it's not the same as normal CAM software (like RhinoCAM). Take a look at Robotmaster, for example: Robotmaster CAD/CAM for robots (Off-Line Programming)

You should be able to use any spindle you want, but I doubt it would be rigid enough to cut metals. Foam shouldn't be a problem, though.

Be very careful when playing around with this thing, once you've got it moving. Unlike Cartesian machines, which operate within their own restricted spaces, these machines can "reach out and touch someone". It can easily kill you, even without a spindle or welder attached.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Awerby,

What would be the difference regarding older models 1996 -2004 and making a connection with computer [example: windows pc/ apple computer].

Also, having had experience in rhino and rhino cam with a master cam machine: How different of a system are they when trying to compare workflow and self-education with a machine?

Thank you for a thorough response and I have started browsing your site content.

Anyone else have experience with machines of this caliber?

you can get good deal...

however you need to looking for a company that have capability refurbishing these..

and reason is, it is quite different than ""regular""" cnc machines..

as Andrew mentioned, first these are working in a ""cage"" or in a room, you cant access within operation..

most robotic arm has a ""state"" when you can pull=push in directions.. teaching it..
    you can not build a control for this..

on the end, you can use it with windows based computer..

look for the IRBCAM site.. visualmill is ok , or practically any cam program toolpath can be converted to robotic arm..

Milling Robot - CAD/CAM for Robots

the simplest for you would be trough on irbcam finding a company that can help you..

kuka, abb or motorman , they have solution for milling or for any app, but I think they are way out of your budget..
    so you need a smaller company who can help you trough on this..

on ebay, you can find seller who actually refurbisher of these arms.. to checking for backlashes on axises is more complicated than in case a router or mill..

Hello Vic,

I actually have found several models that might be potential suite's. I have found several resources and have take these concerns into account.

Additionally, I have found some more resources worth discovering that have similar potentials from the suggested platforms:

Association for Robots in Architecture | About Rob|Arch

OCTOPUZ | Industrial Robotic Programming Suite

Ive sent these developers some questions regarding model and type.

1] How about sensors for tool heads or calibration remotes?

2] Does anyone know how the robot and software recognize the tools?

3] Any brands or suggestions for affordable tools? [CNC, PLASMA CUTTER, WELDER

as I tried to pointing out, you can order from kuka a turnkey solution... that just too expenses for most individual...

irbcam while its not opensource the known lowest cost app..

yet, you need a company who can help you to choose a robotarm, and has knowledge about all... from A-Z...

programs are don't recognize tools as you meaning.. program knows cordinatas, and programmed in order to use the next tool..

the affordable in this situation will mean you pay a house price before you can cut or do anything with your robot..

take your time and watch videos... to get more insight what youre plan to enter..
    they will give you an imagination what it could cost you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzelD_6JjY

Hi, I will chime in here...

its a little disappointing with how much something CANT be done or how difficult it is. The worse part about forums is how much everyone is a legend in their own minds and simply copy and paste more misinformation in another forum which they have no knowledge.

I have just made a purchase for a Motoman arm. As soon as I get it setup I will do the write up.... but this is the basics.
    1. You can now get robots used for around $2k all day long.
    2. When your shopping for your Bot, this is what you need with it.
    ------ The Robot Arm
    ------ The Controller, this has all the driver boards, firmware, software, power supplies that run the bot, also, has various communication hookups.
    ------ The All the cables.
    ------ Lastly the Teach Pendant
    3. If you want to design a part to be cut then export to g code for the robot you need some sort of 3d/ 6 axis cad/cam software. You can then design, create the tool paths, export to robot and let er rip.

I only paid 1k for my robot (Everything, controller, teach pendant, etc...) just a few weeks ago as it had a comm error and wouldn't boot up. Turned out to be a loose PC board in the controller.

I priced how much it would cost me to build my plasma table,,, ,I would be three times more than what I paid for the robot.... and I have 3d 6 axis cutting, welding milling, material handling, scanning, tool changers, etc..... I'm not limited to 2d like everyone else is.

Oh, FYI, repeatability is .02mm, and the weight of my robot is 3200lbs, Im sure I can mill metal....

I now have to source a cad /cam program/software so I can design outside of robot then export the gcode when finished.

The nice thing about going this way is the Teach Pendant.... I don't have to rely upon any external software or separate PC/laptop.

Someday a poster will ask a question and get an exact answer to the question instead of opinions on how someone "feels".
    Its not my intent to insult anyone, if I have done this please accept my apologies. I think people forget that some don't have hours to spend playing on the web wasting time talking about how SallyMay slept with BettyJoes husband.... I prefer to use the web to get info and get to work. When I do a search then start reading about nothing that's related to my search as well as the forum poster..... It gets tiresome and I don't like wasting my time or others....

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for a plasma cutter and welder? Looking to fix the one you have? The last comment has thrown me off with his complaints about the way people were answering...

I like the Hypertherm Powermax45. I used this link to help me decide what would work best for me: Best Plasma Cutter Reviews for 2016 - Budget and Professional Grade

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    I have just made a purchase for a Motoman arm. As soon as I get it setup I will do the write up.... but this is the basics.
    hey ratfink, we are looking for one to do milling, can you share some of the research you did on used robots re sellers in the US?
    thanks

[QUOTE=ratfink;1956656]Hi, I will chime in here...
    Hey ratfink. Was trying to get ahold of you and see how the robot was coming along. I just got a motoman up200 with everything and was going down the same road and thought you might have some input. Hit me up if you get a second. Thanks jack

Hi, i like Lotos LTP5000D. When I researched the best plasma cutter I have used this guide: Best Plasma Cutter Reviews – A True Time-Saving Tools

I am satisfied with LOTOS plasma cutter.

Hi, i like Hypertherm Powermax30. When I researched the best plasma cutter I have used this guide: <a href = " https://plasmacutterexpert.com/best-hypertherm-plasma-cutter-review" > Hypertherm Plasma Cutter:3 Best Picks Review and Comparison 2020 </a>

I am satisfied with Hypertherm Plasma Cutter.
    Last edited by tanplasma; 03-14-2020 at 02:42 AM.

i recommend you to check https://topplasmacutters.com/

Hi, the belt-driven linear module is an economic solution for your budget, check this www.ccmrails.com