584,833 active members*
5,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fusion 360 Post

Haven't really dug around much elsewhere to see - but does anyone here have a working post processor for an 1100/ATC running Mach3 - Fusion 360?

Cheers,

Bill
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Re: Fusion 360 Post

I used the most recent one from Tormach for Fusion 360 and it seems to be working for me.

Post Processor Files for Tormach PathPilot

Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Thanks Awall - will give it a go.

Bill
    ThermaeCooling.com

Grabs a tool fine. Seems to run the path fine. Doesn't change spindle rpm from idle. Didn't have a chance to look that far into it. Need to figure out where to edit the post proc. and go. So far I'm a fan of Fusion 360, but a complete amateur no less. Learning daily.

Bill
    ThermaeCooling.com

So far I've only run one part that I did the CAM work using Fusion 360, but everything worked fine for me with the Tormach post that was installed with it.

Cool, I just installed the App on my phone so I can pull up the part and look at all the CAM operations, tools, feedrate, spindle speed etc. Pretty neat.
    Anyway, looks like that part had 7 operations with 3 tools. Did you set the spindle speed for each operation? I think it can also be saved with the tool and that default speed/feed will be used not sure.

I've been playing for the past day or so with the new updated turning CAM. The post processors are actually pretty easy to figure out and modify once you take a look at it. Being a software engineer might help with that though. I think I have it to the point where I can try this code out on my Dyna 3000H with Ah-Ha controller. Going to give it a shot later on tonight.

Dave

Dave -

not sure if you're referencing my part (?) or the part you ran?

I only set one operation very quick (nothing real - just a test) and spindle speed of 5K. That's where I saw the hiccup - that plus it likes to do a little up/down/up/down dance at tool change height - but I've read elsewhere what the fix for this is.

Bill
    ThermaeCooling.com

Bill,

Sorry, yeah I was talking about my part. Big security flaw if I can see your part on my phone.

I was mostly just writing to say that I didn't have any problems with the spindle speed not being transferred from Fusion to my gcode using the Tormach post that came with Fusion.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll get a chance to sort it for real soon. Have a few parts drafted that need to get done, so no more time to procrastinate.

Bill
    ThermaeCooling.com

OK, deep into Fusion now. Can't seem to get a functioning post to work properly.

Issue is lost Z, or should I say randomly changing Z.

Example:

Z0 set to match model and CAM (top of stock surface in this case)

Calls first tool - plunges too deep.
    Hmmm
    Set top of stock surface to Z zero again using said tool
    Restart cycle
    Machines as expected UNTIL it calls another tool change
    Then the Z is off (always higher by maybe .375" or more than before)

Even if we go back to the original tool that was set to stock surface and cut the first part of the cycle the Z is now off

I've confirmed I'm not losing steps or anything like that, as I can machine away fine using my old workflow (CAMBAM).

So - suggestions? Am I missing something in the basic CAM setup of Fusion 360 somewhere?

I've tried several versions of posts...

signed,

Confused
    ThermaeCooling.com

Do you use the tool offsets in the tool table? Reason I ask is you are saying you set Z=0 with the tool, which seems a bit unusual although it all depends on your reference coordinate system.

At any rate, I have a post that is slightly modified from the default but works well. I am away until the weekend but happy to send it to you over the weekend. If you are in a rush there are a bunch of working posts in the relevant threads in the Autodesk CAM forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jcposada View Post
    Do you use the tool offsets in the tool table? Reason I ask is you are saying you set Z=0 with the tool, which seems a bit unusual although it all depends on your reference coordinate system.

At any rate, I have a post that is slightly modified from the default but works well. I am away until the weekend but happy to send it to you over the weekend. If you are in a rush there are a bunch of working posts in the relevant threads in the Autodesk CAM forum.
    Thank you very much for the offer.

I have it all sorted. Been a long day of successfully running test tool paths and verification. Quite happy at the moment.

The issue was in my tool tables within the Fusion 360 CAM. For some reason, my tool length offsets were set randomly (i.e. - if tool 8 is selected then offset 8 needs to be as well). I'm running a nice post now that does (I think) everything I need.

Solutions came from the AutoDesk CAM forum quickly, I'm please to say

Cheers,

Bill
    ThermaeCooling.com