585,959 active members*
4,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Just installing PathPilot - screen size issue

Just installing PathPilot - screen size issue

Hi All.

I finally got around to installing PathPilot on my 1100 (and controller I bought last year).

It seemed to all load as per instructions, however the screen size is wrong. the bottom and right portion is cut off - about 1/3rd.

I have emailed Tormach - but in the mean time any ideas? If it were windows I would be able to navigate control panel/display/settings etc - but how do I do this with a cut off PathPilot screen?

I tried using the monitor buttons but that adjustment does not seem to be there.

(Software is not my strong point)

Any ideas? keen.

Re: Just installing PathPilot - screen size issue

I had the same problem and asked Tormach about it. Are you using a VGA extension cord? This caused my problem for some reason, but when I switched to a single VGA cable it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    I had the same problem and asked Tormach about it. Are you using a VGA extension cord? This caused my problem for some reason, but when I switched to a single VGA cable it all worked out.
    Hi - No I am just using a single cord. Your fix may have been a co-incidence due to an auto adjust finally operating after the cord was changed/ reboot?

I don't know I am guessing. keen

What is the native resolution of your monitor? Can you set the screen resolution from the monitor's setup utilities?

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    What is the native resolution of your monitor? Can you set the screen resolution from the monitor's setup utilities?

bob
    Hi Bob.

That is what I have been trying but that adjustment does not seem to be there.

I still have not heard back from Tormach. ....keen

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    What is the native resolution of your monitor?
    bob
    Hi again. I tried a bigger monitor and the same problem persists. both monitors are bog standard dells.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi again. I tried a bigger monitor and the same problem persists. both monitors are bog standard dells.
    G'day mate,

My Dell monitor has a menu option to "auto adjust" ..... I just set it to "auto" and it works fine.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    G'day mate,

My Dell monitor has a menu option to "auto adjust" ..... I just set it to "auto" and it works fine.

Michael
    Hi Michael.

I tried that again but no luck. I can make micro adjustments via the monitor buttons, but this seems a major issue with the resolution - that would be adjusted on windows via control panel/ display/resolution. But that facility seems gone now PathPilot is loaded.

I wonder is I can get to that via bios setting? keen

BIOS won't have screen resolution settings. You'll need to get into Linux to mess with it, but it sounds like the DDC path where the monitor and pc talk to sort out supported resolutions isn't working.

Have you tried a different video cable? Examining the cables and pins on the connectors might show if there's a bent or broken pin somewhere.

Cheap extension cables are notorious for skipping the non-video signals to save wire cost, but its not-uncommon for pins to get bent or broken on regular cables too.

There is this wiki on how to reset monitor res. on linux using the terminal.
    I found it through LinuxCNC documents page http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/pdf...ng_Started.pdf
    the link to the wiki was on page 63/68 section 8.8.2
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I have 2 questions:
    Are you using a Tormach sold controller or your own PC as a controller?
    Does you monitor support 1024x768? PathPilot forces screen resolution to fit the user interface:

Code:
      # force screen resolution to match UI, sometimes the display comes up as 1280x1024
      xrandr -s 1024x768
    Step
    As I noted in a previous thread PP forces the resolution to 1024x768. Your monitor doesn't appear to be responding to the change - for what ever reason. I had the same issue when connecting to the VGA output of my old video card. I swapped to the DVI output via a DVI-VGA adapter and the monitor adjusted correctly. Does your controller also have a DVI output to try?
    Step

Hi Guys.

Fantastic news! ...shred was on the money....I checked inside the monitor cable plug and one of the pins was squashed....so I fitted a spare that is too short but ok for a test and yes! ..all working!

Many thanks for all your help! the Zone is a fantastic resource. Tormach have now replied with some useful directions that might have helped me to find the issue. So thanks to Tormach too!

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by ak4051307 View Post
    u contact on my email adress i well help you my email adress is [email protected]
    Sorry I missed your post - thanks for the offer !