584,849 active members*
4,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Wanting to machine a watch case

Wanting to machine a watch case

I am new to cnc and was looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I am looking to machine a watch case out of stainless steel. What type of machines would give me the most freedom in machining the case (as far as if I want nontraditional designs)? What brands are good and what price range to purchase one of these?

Do the machines come with their own software or is that something to purchase separately?

I appreciate any help provided, thanks.

Re: Wanting to machine a watch case

Case would need to be drawn in Cad software such as Inventor, Solidworks or Fusion360 or something similar. Then the tool paths need to be created either by long hand G-code, but much easier with Cam software. Some Cam programs are included with Cad such as Fusion 360 or HSMXpress is free but free version is limited to 2 axis. My guess a watch case probably has some 3 axis features. Therefore Fusion360 is the best bank for the buck, but there are others. As far as machine. Cost determines capability and quality of machine, and also quality of finished product. My guess for decent quality your are looking at least $10,000 for machine and another $1500 or more in tooling and work holding to get started. You could look at Tormach or Novakon for machines. I think some people have even used the little Sherline for jewelry type work. Sky the limit. Maybe look for a second hand machine to get started.

in Switzerland many company still work with conventional watchmaker machines..
    they are turning the case, then with circular sawblades cuts out the unnecessary parts of the workpiece..

I know it sounds unbelievable, but they also mastered to work with files.. some watch you couldn't tell made by file and not with milling machine..

personally me, I would use wire edm, after turning... because with wireedm you don't have to worry about hard or soft metal, and wire can be so thin as little as 0.05 mm.. that makes razorsharp internal corners..
    also advantage of wireedm, that most machine has glass scale so they working with absolute precision... no lost steps or other issues..

Hello,
    Seven from China,wuhan HE laser Engineering Co.,LTD.
    As far as I know,if you just want to cut a watch case out of stainless steel,
    you can choose to buy a laser cutting machine,or a milling machine,may I know the detail requirements
    of you ?
    About the software,normally the machines are with the software,that means the sellers sell machine and software
    together,the softare is important to a machine performance,sometimes sellers choose the most suitable software
    to their machine.like our company,we develop our own software for our machines.
    That my opinion,hope I can help you.
    Sincere............Seven
    Quote Originally Posted by kaymteo View Post
    I am new to cnc and was looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I am looking to machine a watch case out of stainless steel. What type of machines would give me the most freedom in machining the case (as far as if I want nontraditional designs)? What brands are good and what price range to purchase one of these?

Do the machines come with their own software or is that something to purchase separately?

I appreciate any help provided, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Case would need to be drawn in Cad software such as Inventor, Solidworks or Fusion360 or something similar. Then the tool paths need to be created either by long hand G-code, but much easier with Cam software. Some Cam programs are included with Cad such as Fusion 360 or HSMXpress is free but free version is limited to 2 axis. My guess a watch case probably has some 3 axis features. Therefore Fusion360 is the best bank for the buck, but there are others. As far as machine. Cost determines capability and quality of machine, and also quality of finished product. My guess for decent quality your are looking at least $10,000 for machine and another $1500 or more in tooling and work holding to get started. You could look at Tormach or Novakon for machines. I think some people have even used the little Sherline for jewelry type work. Sky the limit. Maybe look for a second hand machine to get started.
    Thank you for your response. Do you or anyone else have more recommendations of companies? (Like who are the Toyota and Hondas of the industry - reliability) I noticed a quick search found a lot of negative comments towards Novakon. Any thoughts on machine vs. laser to mill the watch case? Thanks again.

Check out Skyfire CNC, I think the SVM-0 would be a good match for your application. All linear rails, USB Mach 3 interface so no need to run ancient XP with parallel port anymore.Lots of options also.

They can be found here: www.skyfirecnc.com or Home if you're in the USA.

just my 0.02$.

there are some machines for coinmolds with laser.. .. you can try to enquiry..

the issue is, what you don't see at this moment, the precision.. the 0.01 mm step, what a better mill can do, already not sufficient..
    those machines are equipped with glassscales and theres no backlash due this linear encoder..

when you work so small tools you need very high rpm.. not 20 K but 60 000 ...
    to achieving a good surface rails are suitable, because all little friction comes back on the surface quality..

while novakon and other similar sized machines are great for general milling.. watch case is not in this category...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvMFH7wknw

certain way you can go with any other machine, but you will not get trough within hour with a watch case, what this machine can ...

when you have to drill and tap 0.5 mm holes, tormach or novakon might can no tperform, not because they are not carefully designed, but they are designed for different task..

certain way you achieve good result with any mill.. but making a watchcase either way with cnc or manually, beyond machines your knowledge what really important..

heres a pdf, shows how a watchcase machined.. about 55 min.. it means, beyond polishing everything machined to ready...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB_Watch_Kern_Watch_case_en.pdf