585,759 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Building a Pendant for LinuxCNC

Hi All,

I've been searching the forums and web for info about a project I'm interested in taking on, but having trouble finding concrete answers.
    I hope someone smarter than me can point me in the right direction.

I'm building a Pendant and trying to find info for hooking it up electrically and configuring LinuxCNC to utilize it.

I'm open to either Parallel port or USB for connections. I have a Quadrature encoded hand wheel as well as 14 buttons on my pendant. I need to decide what functions I'm interested in having each button perform. I'm expecting to hook up the buttons as a 4X4 array requiring 8 inputs and the MPG encoder requiring x-number of inputs.

I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel here, so no C++ or other programming etc. I can work with HAL to get it all up and running, but need advise on the details.

Can anyone help or point me in a solid working direction?

Cheers!

Dale

Re: Building a Pendant for LinuxCNC

Lotsa resources on the LinuxCNC website and wiki:

LinuxCNC.org

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNCKnowledgeBase

This should get you started:

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Hooking Up A MPG Pendant

Thanks, I'm asking over there as well.
    My problem is a little more complicated than what I've found for help within the linux examples or community so far.

The problem I'm facing is;

I know I can use a USB interface (HAL Joypad example) and have lots of inputs that I could tie the keypad to, but I cannot find if it's possible to connect a Quadrature encoder (Hand wheel) to the USB inputs using a USB HID connection board.

I also know I can tie the encoder in using the parallel port and have a few inputs left over for some buttons, but not 14 or 15 buttons unless I can use matrix keypad scanning on the parallel port, but I cannot find any info to do that.

So my problem is, I do not know how to connect an encoder AND 14 keys to one or the other ports.

Cheers! And thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Dale

Its certainly doable with a single parallel port and the matrix_kb component

For example if you set the parallel port to "in" mode you have 13 inputs and 4 outputs
    This would allow for example 16 keys (8 in x 2 out matrix) and leave 2 outputs for LEDs etc
    2 inputs for MPG encoder and 3 spare individual inputs for mode switches etc

Is this trivial? no

Is it doable with help from linuxcnc forum members: absolutely

This setup has some advantages over USB interfaces in that it has basically 0 jitter (all real time)
    so response is excellent (USB will always have variable delays up to the 50 or more ms region)

Can LinuxCNC handle serial interfaces or can you add a plugin for new devices to it? If so, and you have access to (either yourself or others) electronics, embedded and Linux environment programming...

Other thing to look at is a small microprocessor (arduino based on an ATMega32u4, for example) hooked up with something like a Bourns EMS22 (1024 ppr encoder with its own 3 wire serial protocol, easy to bit bash) and maybe a MAX7300 I2C IO expander for the keys.

Using the arduino setup it's a piece of cake to program, you'll need to get a PCB made for the pendant of course, and it will expose as a serial port on the host machine.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to go with PCW_MESA's suggestion and set it up via parallel port.

Cheers all!

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Can LinuxCNC handle serial interfaces or can you add a plugin for new devices to it? If so, and you have access to (either yourself or others) electronics, embedded and Linux environment programming...

Other thing to look at is a small microprocessor (arduino based on an ATMega32u4, for example) hooked up with something like a Bourns EMS22 (1024 ppr encoder with its own 3 wire serial protocol, easy to bit bash) and maybe a MAX7300 I2C IO expander for the keys.

Using the arduino setup it's a piece of cake to program, you'll need to get a PCB made for the pendant of course, and it will expose as a serial port on the host machine.
    As far I know linuxcnc has hal module for serial port. And with a bit of python code you can connect to almost anything. I have built simple pendant with salvaged mouse wheel, msp430 processor from Texas Instruments launchpad kit, some 7400 logic and max232 chip. And learned python programming in the process

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post

That's probably your best bet and probably the most flexible, as well. It's how I'd do it, at least.

Delron, have you seen ArcEye's pendant ? http://http://www.mgware.co.uk/ its under the HAL components drop down list.

Regards,

Steve.

Can anyone help me with the matrix_kb component?
    I can't find anything to guide me implementing it on a parallel port.
    LinuxCnc doc is way to confusing for me.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    Its certainly doable with a single parallel port and the matrix_kb component

For example if you set the parallel port to "in" mode you have 13 inputs and 4 outputs
    This would allow for example 16 keys (8 in x 2 out matrix) and leave 2 outputs for LEDs etc
    2 inputs for MPG encoder and 3 spare individual inputs for mode switches etc

Is this trivial? no

Is it doable with help from linuxcnc forum members: absolutely

This setup has some advantages over USB interfaces in that it has basically 0 jitter (all real time)
    so response is excellent (USB will always have variable delays up to the 50 or more ms region)

Quote Originally Posted by Delron View Post
    Can anyone help me with the matrix_kb component?
    I can't find anything to guide me implementing it on a parallel port.
    LinuxCnc doc is way to confusing for me.

Cheers!
    Join the mailing list. You have a lot of knowledge there.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Join the mailing list. You have a lot of knowledge there.
    Umm, what?

Umm, what?
    What what?
    The primary means of contact is to join the users mailing list >> Community

What what?
    The primary means of contact is to join the users mailing list >> Community
    If you read post #3, you'd see that I said I was already asking over there at the LinuxCnc Community. There is next to no info on the matric_kb function there or anywhere. That is why I was asking in more than one forum.

BTW, you saying "Join the mailing list. You have a lot of knowledge there." really does not convey much meaning. I'm a member there, and did not know what you meant.

Cheers!

Update.

I have solved all my questions with help of some very knowledgeable and friendly people.
    My pendant is working very well, just needing to assign a few more functions to buttons to wrap it up.

Cheers all!

If you read post #3, you'd see that I said I was already asking over there at the LinuxCnc Community. There is next to no info on the matric_kb function there or anywhere. That is why I was asking in more than one forum.

BTW, you saying "Join the mailing list. You have a lot of knowledge there." really does not convey much meaning. I'm a member there, and did not know what you meant.

Cheers!
    Did you ask at the forum or the mailing list? I can't see any matrix_kb related discussions since April 13 in my mailbox (which is a 7i73 inputs question) and before that I have to reverse to September last year.
    A lot of the expertss only uses the mailing list, no forums touched so to say by the black hats.

Update.

I have solved all my questions with help of some very knowledgeable and friendly people.
    My pendant is working very well, just needing to assign a few more functions to buttons to wrap it up.

Cheers all!
    Great! I assume you document it on the wiki.

Did you ask at the forum or the mailing list? I can't see any matrix_kb related discussions since April 13 in my mailbox (which is a 7i73 inputs question) and before that I have to reverse to September last year.
    A lot of the expertss only uses the mailing list, no forums touched so to say by the black hats.
    Forum. I don't like mailing lists. Too much distracting chatter.

@ Delron : I'm interested to see what you have accomplished... have you documented it on-line at all? As I'm just really getting into HAL and pyVCP... I'll take any tips I can find.

@ svenakela: Mailing lists... the problem (as I see it) for a mailing list is that usually they are text only, which means no images to help in explanations, no video, no attachments. We have a mailing list for the Robot Group that I'm a part of... and usually the only way to get things done is to go off-line and use email, phone, etc. Additionally, in a forum things are segmented into topics... and you can (usually) locate things quickly. I haven't been on your mailing list... but on the ones I have been... many times the headings are useless... like "Hey it works" might be the heading for connecting a USB joystick to a controller. :-(

I'm willing to take a look... can you provide the URL?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    I have been documenting my progress... needs some updates... but: Askjerry... Everyone else does.

Jerry,

The LinuxCNC mailing list allows attachments. Get them all the time. This includes images, pdf's, videos, etc.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12