584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To buy or pass?

Hi Guys,
    Just looked at a 4020 with the 32mp control on it.

The spindle sounded kind of like dry bearings when we first started it. The owner told me he thought it has sat for ~1 year. After running it at 1200 for about 5 minutes we checked to see what the max was and it went to at least 10k. When we first ran it at 10k it sounded pretty noisy so I slowed it to ~4k for ~ 5-10 minutes before ramping it back up. After this it sounded better but still kind of noisy.

Do these have grease pack or oil mist lube?

The machine was filthy inside like MOUNDS of mixed steel/ aluminum chips and the x axis left cover was off. According to the owner it was so they could clean the chips out because it was full of chips in there. The x ways (box) had some light rust on about 1/2 the way.

It did manually jog all 3 axis ok. although the z axis seemed a bit jumpy when hand wheeling it at first.

It is priced cheap but.. I don't want / need something that will need a spindle soon.

Any recommendations from you fadal guys? I am used to mitsubishi's

THX in advance

Re: To buy or pass?

Forgot to add this, when I felt the taper after running the spindle it was very hot in the taper. The housing wasn't hot just inside the taper.

[I love a find like that because 5-6 grand later (spindle, way covers) you have a real jem. The main issue with ANY fadal with the way cover off is that the saddle will NOT survive long and youll spend 10-15K on rebuilding it. If you pass let me know we love to rebuild those machines.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

A Fadal spindle is stupid cheap, no worries. Inso-far as the table and saddle turcite, yes an issue possibly but not likely and NOT 15K as said above

My supplier can do a full rebuild with turcite, ball screw on X, table true, and assembly for 6500.00 It is returned in a crate ready to go and takes (6) hours to install at (our rate 125.00hr) Drop the saddle down (assembled) hook up the oil lines, install saddle gibs and straps, slide in the "Y" Axis screw. Where are you getting 15K????? AND that's for a machine that needs a full rebuild, most times is just a service call for gibs and straps. [email protected]

Well that takes care of the saddle and table. And that is assuming the base has not been damaged and your going to wing it hoping your base doesn't have .0005" of taper. Because if it does you either wont like the finish on your cuts, wont cut square or will get servo overload errors. Sure you can get a fast rebuild of saddle and table but the time comes in when you need scraping done and youll pay for that. To Fadal's advantage the induction hardness was very good but no Fadal can withstand chip impregnated turcite forever. Best case scenario is the table/saddle doesn't need a rebuild, the belts have accumulated rubber on the guide and the machine just needs a good home.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.