584,862 active members*
5,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Controller shuts off randomly

Tormach Controller shuts off randomly

I haven't been here in a while but hopefully some here has a clue to help me with my problem.

I bought a Tormach Control computer with Mach3 about a year ago and it has worked as advertised.
    Now over the last month it just shut off randomly. I opened the case and could see the fans were both working.
    I figured it must be the power supply but so I bought a new one and that didn't fix it.

Anyone else had this kind of problem? I will be cutting a part and the machine will just stop and the computer will be off.

I unplugged it from the machine and plugged in the bare minimum peripherals to start the thing. Still just randomly shuts off.

TIA

Howecnc

Re: Tormach Controller shuts off randomly

How long is it on b4 it shuts down? Could be the cpu overheating if the heat sink is full of gunk

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sometimes an hour, sometimes 4. Last night I turned it on to see if what I tried had made a difference. Coincidentally we last power momentarily during the night.
    All the house computers rebooted and all the clocks needed to be reset but the machine was still on and ready to go in this morning but by noon it had shut off.

You might try reseating all the connectors in the computer.
    mike sr

Reseating ram is a good idea as well

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Obviously all the power connections have been re-seated with the new power supply. I will try all the other cables and Ram as well.
    Do I need to do the CPU?

TIA

Don't touch the CPU. It has a metal spring clip that holds the CPU in place. It isn't going to get loose. Plus, if you pull off the CPU cooler to get at the CPU, you need to reapply the thermal paste on the heat sink.

Use compressed air (I just use my air compressor) and blow out the case really well, including all of the heat sinks and fans.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

You don't need to do any of that stuff you losing power NOT a blue screen. I'd check the power switch itself on the case & make sure it's cleanly connected to the mobo. Are you by chance on the same breaker as the rest of the equipment? A different breaker? Could it be on the same breaker as your compressor? Also it the PC stored under the mill? In a specific cabinet? Does it have ventilation? Does the PC smell funny or feel hot?

Issues with the CPU, ram, video, & most other peripherals will generate a either a blue screen or a simple locked screen. A locked screen could generate an overheated condition in which the mobo hardware will shut off power. A blue screen may make the PC hot but usually won't turn off the PC.

Go into your BIOS & see if you can look at your error history (I.e. Keyboard missing, ram error, system shutdown, system temp, etc.). Otherwise if you're in a windows environment click on start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer. You can also get to it via the control panel & click on Administrative tools. Examine the ERROR LOG in the event viewer. This will give you clues leading up to the power failure. If nothing is there then the software is fine & you looking more at hardware or your electrical.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    I will be cutting a part and the machine will just stop and the computer will be off.
    Did not think this was possible! My understanding the z axis would not hold position if controller went OFF and machine was ON and executing code. Crash!

Anyway on to the problem.
    What are you saying when you say off? No power at all or computer is on but no operating system is running?

A dirty dusty computer and peripherals will exhibit all kinds of strange behaviors and its always a good idea to keep clean.
    A complete power down is not a common issue. Not many conditions I can think of will power a computer down to off!
    Bad power supply and or large voltage changes at outlet causing stress to power supply would be my first fix. Replacing power supply as you mention should fix problem if the replacement is good!
    A dedicated circuit for controller is ideal and would also mitigate all kinds of expensive problems like this. Also I have a uninterruptable power supply "UPS" on my controller and every expensive electronic device in my house! This extends the life and reliability of all these devices.
    Another very remote possibility is a virus.
    A tormach controller has a dedicated windows o.s. build that is stripped down and optimized for machine control with no virus detection so it is possible just not likely if all your other computers do!

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    ... Also I have a uninterruptable power supply "UPS" on my controller and every expensive electronic device in my house!...
    I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like there might be a dirty power issue, or something else on that circuit is cycling on while your machine is running. Have you added anything else onto that circuit recently? Have you tried plugging the controller into another circuit to see if it still powers off? I would go with the easy troubleshooting first or get a UPS like mountaindew has.

I have an older Dell 8200 set up with pathpilot on it just for a situation like this.........

Those intermittents are hard to find sometimes.

+1 on the uninterrupted poser supply! I use one on my machine.
    mike sr

Most likely not the issue but I had a problem with my computer not booting up. Check the Motherboard Cell battery. It's probably not the issue, but I figure I try.

Regards,

-Jason

Hi howecnc. I bought a Tormach controller about a year ago also and sometimes it freezes midway through boot up.

What do you do when that happens?...I just turn the power off and reboot and it doesnt seem to hurt it.

I also had my office computer start to intermittently shut down recently - it took a lot to find the problem. Apparently this issue is usually the power supply, but in my case it turned out to be the mother board - still under warranty luckily.

Keen

This happened to me a few weeks ago. The only thing I did was to replace the RAM sticks with new ones from Microcenter. It fixed it. No more random shutdowns.