584,808 active members*
4,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > ALIBRE / GEOMAGIC What are your thoughts about Support and Maintenance
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: ALIBRE / GEOMAGIC What are your thoughts about Support and Maintenance

I wouldn't expect much in the way of updates for Cubify Design, although the flagship Geomagic Design product gets updated fairly frequently. There isn't a specific forum for Cubify Design, although there is a forum on the Geomagic site where people talk about all the Alibre/Geomagic Design programs: Geomagic ? Index page
    Andrew Werby
    Website

It's been over a year since the last update for the full Geomagic Design and the company is being fairly close mouthed about any current work. There was a recent hint of an upgrade but we'll have to wait and see if, when, and how significant it is.

Actually, the last update was in September, so not that long ago. Among other things, it added mirroring of assemblies, live linking to KeyShot rendering software, and newly updated CAD file import support.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

My Help-> About says this:
    "Geomagic Design Version:[ 2015.1.1 ]"

Check for updates, and you get "Your software is up to date."

The September upgrade I mentioned was announced on the Geomagic site as well as here: https://3dprint.com/94980/geomagic-updates-features/ Looking to see why your version doesn't seem to reflect that, I noticed that that "2015.1.1" isn't a date (like it appears to be) but a version number. If you look here: Archived Application Installers you'll see it was released on September 29th of last year.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

You are right Andrew, and I'd meant to say that the last "full" update was a year ago - that was 2015.0.1 from March 2015 and as you noted the one from September 2015 was a 0.1 release. 3DS hasn't been very vocal about upcoming releases and seems to have gotten away from doing betas with user input. To my mind, they would have been expected to release a 2016 version about now as a major upgrade, but not a peep out of them. It's hard to make a good case for paying the upgrade fees unless one has clients that use it and need you to stay current.

There hasn't been any update to Geomagic Design Studio since 2015.0.1, has there?
    (I have not continued my support contract. So I'm out of the loop on news.)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWolschon View Post
    There hasn't been any update to Geomagic Design Studio since 2015.0.1, has there?
    According to the Geomagic web site (linked above), there have not been any releases.

Be cautious when reading articles, such as Andrew's 3dPrint link. That article refers to Geomagic Design X, NOT Geomagic Design, These are two very different software packages; one is for reverse engineering, the other for design.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWolschon View Post
    Not to my knowledge so you are not losing anything by going off maintenance. From what I can see in the independent Geomagic forum bug reports are being "forwarded to the developers" but that's as far as it seems to be going. Neither 3DS (the parent company) nor Geomagic seems to be any marketing at all for Geomagic Design and, if anything, Geomagic seems to upgrading their other products to better support SolidWorks. None of that bodes well to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Neither 3DS (the parent company) nor Geomagic seems to be any marketing at all for Geomagic Design and, if anything, Geomagic seems to upgrading their other products to better support SolidWorks. None of that bodes well to my mind.
    I completely agree, I wish they would get off the fence, either support Design or sell it to someone that will, it's done everything I need with very few exceptions and when I see someone like Big Seb, who has used quite a few high end CAD packages think it's good, and even better at some things at some significant things, that says that it's worth saving.

I'd like to see it continued and further developed but when you see the cloud based programs coming out, I think standalone software may be ending. For the companies, cloud based means that they have a continuing income stream and nobody can get away without paying forever for their product, regardless of whether their product is upgraded or not, you are _always_ paying maintenance, forever, with no way out. A pessimist maybe, but from the corporate standpoint it makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 12