584,863 active members*
4,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis wrapping

Anyone figured out how to do 4th axis wrapping that actually works?

Do you have a better explination for your question?

I thought I was quite clear... 4th axis milling toolpaths that are "wrapped" around either the X or Y axis. Usually done with an indexer that is wired to the machine allowing continuous movement in all 4 direction. Your machined parts could look like impellers and such.

zfarkas, I second that.
    When I was building my machine I was taking for granted that my 4th axis machining will be a piece of cake, now I am learning that the software that actually uses full 4 axis machining is sparse and expensive.

Konstantin.

nevermind

nevermind guys... figured it out. It's all in how you set up your coordinate systems. Works good.. The Simulation is slow though... would like to see rapid cut in 4th axis. cheers,
    z

Zoltan Farkas
    Lead Instrument Designer Sr.
    Research Instrument Shop
    Arizona State University
    Tempe, AZ 85287

4th axis wrapping Should of been impoved alot with the new release of featurecam I am sure it is still very limited. If you have a solid that I could give you some help on I wouldn't mind helping.

4 Ax

I have used 4 axis in V12 and V13, wrapping helical slots, simple holes, straight slots etc. Works well, I was required to write the post, which took a some trial and error, to make the post talk to the control.

Full simultanous 4 ax surfacing is one place I want to go, there are some differences between v12 and 13 here.....I am confident It will be great and I am designing a couple of projects to try it out......not sure if I will use v12 or 13.

I've done a little with wrapping. Made a helical slot in a small cylinder. I took took the solid model and had to unwrap the curve. Once the curve is unwrapped you can program it easily. It unwraps it and you program it in 2d. Once that's done just cut the feature and choose wrap. I've done it with pockets and engraving.