584,808 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trico Md-1200 V/S FogBuster

Ok, first off... I know that this is an old horse that's been beaten (chair) 100 times but I figured I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has a current view on what I should do.

I am in the need of purchasing some sort of coolant/lubrication system. Right now I do not have a full enclosure and would prefer to wait until I do before running full on flood coolant (I used to have a Fadal VMC15 so I know how messy a non-enclosure version would be). So, with that said, tell me why I should or should not spend the extra money on the Trico dual line system or if the FogBuster dual line system will do everything I need. Mostly cutting aluminum with some SS thrown in from time to time. Also, those who have them, what sort of air do you really have to have. I have the Tormach sold Cyclone quiet compressor. I'm thinking of purchasing a second one just for the Trico/FogBuster because they are so quiet.

System: 2012 Tormach PCNC1100 Series 3 with ATC

Thanks for your insight!
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Have you watched nycnc video comparing the two?

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Ok, first off... I know that this is an old horse that's been beaten (chair) 100 times but I figured I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has a current view on what I should do.

I am in the need of purchasing some sort of coolant/lubrication system. Right now I do not have a full enclosure and would prefer to wait until I do before running full on flood coolant (I used to have a Fadal VMC15 so I know how messy a non-enclosure version would be). So, with that said, tell me why I should or should not spend the extra money on the Trico dual line system or if the FogBuster dual line system will do everything I need. Mostly cutting aluminum with some SS thrown in from time to time. Also, those who have them, what sort of air do you really have to have. I have the Tormach sold Cyclone quiet compressor. I'm thinking of purchasing a second one just for the Trico/FogBuster because they are so quiet.

System: 2012 Tormach PCNC1100 Series 3 with ATC

Thanks for your insight!
    Awall

Re: Trico Md-1200 V/S FogBuster

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Have you watched nycnc video comparing the two?
    Did his video "compare" the two or just talk about the Trico System? If memory serves me correct, I think he said that he did not know about the FogBuster other than what others have told him....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rH5-Lpcms

I can chime in on this as I recently took advantage of a 30% Zoro coupon to order the Trico and have had both flood and the Fogbuster (single line) for a while. I did it mainly because I want to move the fogbuster to my lathe - not because I was dissatisfied with the performance of the Fogbuster.

It has only been a few days, but I can tell you I am really, really impressed with the Trico. Now granted, part of it may be due to coolant selection (using Kool 77 on the Fogbuster) and the Trico coolant with the MD-1200, but I don't regret spending a little extra on the Trico for a second. It consumes a lot more air (minimum operating pressure 60 psi vs the Fogbuster which I run at around 10 PSI) so my 30 gallon, two stage 5HP compressor that outputs ~17scfm @ 175 psi cycles every ~10-15 minutes with the air wide open on both lines (which are operating at 75 psi). But it is a real miser with the coolant. I was a little skeptical at first when I saw the size of the reservoir, but it does last forever. I ran it pretty open for about 6 hours last Thursday and I can't barely perceive a drop in the coolant level.

Go for the MD-1200, you will not regret it. I think you will end up wanting the second compressor, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcposada View Post
    I can chime in on this as I recently took advantage of a 30% Zoro coupon to order the Trico and have had both flood and the Fogbuster (single line) for a while. I did it mainly because I want to move the fogbuster to my lathe - not because I was dissatisfied with the performance of the Fogbuster.

It has only been a few days, but I can tell you I am really, really impressed with the Trico. Now granted, part of it may be due to coolant selection (using Kool 77 on the Fogbuster) and the Trico coolant with the MD-1200, but I don't regret spending a little extra on the Trico for a second. It consumes a lot more air (minimum operating pressure 60 psi vs the Fogbuster which I run at around 10 PSI) so my 30 gallon, two stage 5HP compressor that outputs ~17scfm @ 175 psi cycles every ~10-15 minutes with the air wide open on both lines (which are operating at 75 psi). But it is a real miser with the coolant. I was a little skeptical at first when I saw the size of the reservoir, but it does last forever. I ran it pretty open for about 6 hours last Thursday and I can't barely perceive a drop in the coolant level.

Go for the MD-1200, you will not regret it. I think you will end up wanting the second compressor, though.
    Did the exact same thing, have both, and find I use the Trico pretty much exclusively now. Much better chip clearance than the Fogbuster. Complete lack of water on the mill makes me sleep better, even though I'm still compulsive about cleanup. FWIW, I'm running a much smaller compressor -11 cfm or so, 110 psi, 10 gal tank, and 80 psi on the Trico. I get about a 40% duty cycle, compressor runs every couple minutes for 40 sec or so (but it's not in the shop, runs off a separate circuit, so that's not a big deal).

Zoro is absolutely the best price I saw (and, darn it, missed the coupon). Mine arrived with one cracked spray nozzle; Trico replaced instantly. Dual head is a good idea.

Btw today only 20% off zoro. Coupon code: CANOE

I have been using a dual nozzle Fog Buster for about 12 years. It works really well for profiling and surfacing, but it's not that great to drilling, tapping or pocketing.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Are you using Trico TC-1, MD-1, MD-7 or...? I'm confused by their relative advantages. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Are you using Trico TC-1, MD-1, MD-7 or...? I'm confused by their relative advantages. Comments?
    From what I can tell.... the TC is "coolant" and the MD is Micro Drop "lubrication"...... Now the question is which is best for general machining in aluminum and steel.

Using TC-1 here.

I run both Flood and Fog Buster here. The FB works very well for me in all but drilling and deep hole interpolation. To be honest I don't run flood more than 20% of the time these days and I am running pretty much exclusive in Titanium and Stainless alloys.

Here is a vid of running the FB while pocketing a 1" deep hole in 304
    https://youtu.be/0-HNJv8qyd0
    and
    https://youtu.be/t2d02DZfRBI
    for Slotting many feet of 6Al4V Ti. Also if someone is interested in getting a flood coolant kit for a PCNC770 at a very reasonable price (31367 - PCNC 770 Coolant Kit) PM me. I still have it here in a crate because I only run the flood on the PCNC 1100.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    MD7. I'm fairly sure that MD7 was Trico's reco for nonferrous.

Co page here
    Metal Cutting Lubricants and Coolants - Trico Corp.

TC1 is the premium stuff, MD1 is "vegetable based" for "ferrous and nonferrous".

I just bought a single fog buster setup running koolmist 77. I didn't go with flood because I don't have an enclosure and didn't want to deal with possible rusting because my machine is not being used on a regular basis for the time being. I think its a great product but its not really ideal for use on a CNC mill because in the end, I still need to baby sit more than I would like. I need to blow out chips for deeper pockets and add lube for drilling. I also find it annoying to adjust and keep pointed at the work. the Trico seems like it would be easier to adjust and there is far less worry about it getting damaged. I run it with a 6.3 gallon California air tools compressor and it runs more than I would like, but not so bad considering it's very quiet. I would still probably buy it again if I had to do it over but it's certainly not a production solution for me.