585,735 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Boss 10 Retrofit options / need Boss 10 Diagrams

Boss 10 Retrofit options / need Boss 10 Diagrams

I seem to be going in circles trying to plan out a retrofit to my recently acquired Boss 10 series 1. I bought the machine as non-running with a large hole burned through the SAF board where the AC accessories are controlled (coolant pump, Bijur pump, etc). The machine actually seems happier with that board completely removed; it boots up and then merely lists an SAF board error. If I install the SAF the LCD goes very dim and it won't complete the boot up - stays on the Boss 10 welcome screen.

I did not get any manuals or wiring diagrams with this machine. If anyone has these I'd pay for copies/scanning/whatever. I would like to have the diagrams to be able to do the retrofit.

So, with no diagrams I really do not know what SAF stands for. It appears to me that the main processor board, drives, etc all seem to be functioning. Is there a simple retrofit system that works with those drivers?

As I see it I have a few options:
    1. Step/dir servo drives such as Geckos or Dugong - could then use Mach or Linuxcnc. (I am very familiar with Mach, have never touched Linux before)
    2. Analog drivers such as ADVANCED MOTION CONTROLS model “25A20″ - but this locks me into Linux
    3. Any options for using the standard Bridgeport drivers?

I definitely like the idea of full closed loop back to the PC that Linux gives you, and am going to start playing with Linux to see how tricky it is. I also like the idea of how simple it would be to get it going on Mach since I already know it...

Is there any value in the original controller parts for a Boss10? They seem very rare to find info on them via google...

Thank you,
    Jason

Re: Boss 10 Retrofit options / need Boss 10 Diagrams

Here are some pics. The machine seems to have been well taken care of... I was hoping to be able to make it run as Bridgeport had built it long enough to see what state of the art was in the mid 80's, but it's not worth the hassle. The SAF (someone PLEASE decode that acronym for me!) board shows excessive heat on many of the traces, and on the heat sinks for most of the transistors. I work at a university in a Mechanical Engineering school, and had our electronics repair shop check it out - they thought it was a lost cause.

Re: Boss 10 Retrofit options / need Boss 10 Diagrams

I just finished a Boss 5 retrofit, completely trashing the old controls even though I had good used electronics from 3 other machines. Mine was of course steppers but in your case are servos but its pretty similar. Not sure on how much you're trying to spend, nor do I know anything about the Boss Servos. I retrofitted mine for a fraction of the price of a kit you'd buy. If you go the new control route I do recommend PMDX, as their 126 board is top notch. Surely its three times more than Chinese break out boards but the quality is superb. I've personally visited their facility. Their PMDX-126 also has the option of directly mounting their PMDX-107 spindle controller. I decided to go with Mach4 controls, and getting an ESS to communicate to my PC. You'll need a 24vdc power supply for the air motors that control spindle speed. I leave it turned all the way up since I have a VFD, wired to the existing panel. I bought a 24vdc & 5vdc combo power supply from automation direct, which the 5vdc is powering my ESS. I have 3PH in my shop but decided to retrofit 1PH in case I ever wanted to sell it, so I went with a 1PH in 3PH out VFD for my 2hp spindle motor. The bijour lube pump is powered on when my spindle is on. I believe they were originally on a timer. I'm using Leadshine drivers (again I have steppers) which have the power supply built in, driving straight 230v. I believe they also sell drivers for servo's with built in power supply. Again I have an older series but the retrofits are very similar. You also have a nice control panel that could be integrated with the PMDX.

Here's http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...cnc-forum.html You should be searching for V2E3