584,861 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Fiber Laser Cutting Topics > New Machine Build High Precision Fiber Laser Cutter

New Machine Build High Precision Fiber Laser Cutter

I live in Helsinki, Finland and am planning a new machine build.

I am working on a high precision fiber laser cutter with a granite epoxy base for thin sheet metal and small tubes. The laser is 300W.

The machine base be 1200mm x 800mm x 100mm. It will weight about 200Kg and the 2 rails will weigh about 50kg each. I am also thinking about making the stand granite epoxy. The base and rails will be cast as 3 pieces.

I ordered epoxy from the german online store R&G Online - Epoxy, Epoxid, Carbon, Epoxyd - Faserverstärkte Kunststoffe. Epoxy Resin L (25kg) with Hardener W300 (8.75kg). (They recommended this). About 350 euro before shipping, no vat. Still waiting for it to arrive.

I have been picking up some aggregate and plan to make some tests:
    Quartz Flour 80 kg
    Sand, .2 to 1 mm brown play sand 40kg
    Sand, 0 to .7 mm black 50kg
    Sand, 0 to 2 mm black 50kg
    Crushed Stone, 2-5mm black gabbro Hyvinkaa 50kg
    Crushed Stone, 4-12mm black gabbro Hyvinkaa 50kg

The larger stones were dirty and wet so I washed and dried them. The sand looks pretty clean and dry. The large aggregate is called black gabbro. It is not granite but sometimes is called "black granite".

I've ordered some hardware to cast into the machine:
    This one is for attaching the sheet metal frame to:
    200PCS 5/M5*10 ISO13918 IT internal threads stainless steel, 45 usd, 200PCS 5/M3*6 ISO13918 IT internal threads CD Welding Stud welding screws dicharged welding stud-in Screws from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    And will also get some M10 concrete anchor inserts in stainless steel that I will put throughout the frame. I'm trying to order those locally from Concrete Anchors | Tukituote.

I will cast in some stainless steel bar about 1 cm thick in various places including on top the rails to affix the linear rail to.

Epoxy granite mold will be in MDF.

I tried to contact Thomas Zietz for the grading spreadsheet but did not hear back. He has also removed the spreadsheet from his web site. I think I can get pretty close based on other posts here if I can't get it. I am hoping for a 8% mix.

I am building a vibration table. It is going to be a 4' by 4' piece of plywood that will sit on top of my 4 winter tires. I will screw a 450W orbital sander into the plywood. I can't cut into my winter tires so will screw on some strips of wood to the plywood so that the sheet doesn't move on the tires. The sander was only about 35 euro so will get a second one if the power is not high enough.

I attached an initial cad model.

Re: New Machine Build High Precision Fiber Laser Cutter

I doubt that a 450W orbital sander will shake a 200KG mould enough to compact the E/G, but you will have to do some experimenting there anyway to get the correct frequency.

Is there a reason for those windows on the sides? E/G has a lower Youngs modulus than Aluminium. Those beams look very thin and will sag. Much better practice would be to make them solid,. E/G loves thick sections, and mass.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Mark

Thanks for the spreadsheet.

>> Is there a reason for those windows on the sides?

I was basing the design on a primatics youtube video I had watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHFSJSnN8uM.

XYZ gantry on granite. I wonder if they had some sagging issues since granite has a similar YM to aluminum.

I will change it to be 10 x 10 x 20 cm blocks. I will be cutting sheet metal but I need enough Z axis space for the rotary chuck since I am planning for square and circular tube. The laser arrives in 6 weeks so I want to have this built by then. I will likely order the linear components from BST Automation since I have seen good reviews. I have not decided on servos vs steppers yet. I could use expensive servos on the x/y for maximum acceleration but cheaper steppers on the Z and rotary chuck.

I will post updated drawings later today or tomorrow.

Here is the updated diagram.

Attachment 290778

Why don't you move your uprights in a bit and let the top rail overhang a bit. that will minimise sagging in the middle. Look up Airy Points to see where you should place the uprights.

bob

Another update to give an idea where I am headed. The slab with the rails will sit on top of the rectangular slab.

Epoxy arrived so I will start with first test maybe this weekend.

Attachment 290894

Latest CAD model. Note that I did not design the gantry. I paid 30 usd for the model. It is the "ripper cnc". I just changed out the base by removing the aluminum extrusions and adding the granite-epoxy. I was thinking of making the rectangular sub base out of cement instead of epoxy. It only supports the granite epoxy table which will be supported by 3 points but no physical connection. To fit the gantry model I had to make the table larger which makes it weight in at 300kg according to the CAD software when modeling it as cement. This is a bit if a problem for me. I am planning to cast it in my attic and then take it out of the building by elevator to a commercial space (which I don't have yet).

Attachment 291060

Everything has arrived now for the subframe and frame. The molds are being cut this week at the local hardware store. I'll post pictures of the tests that I make. I ordered the mechanical components from NOULEI.com, timing belts from beltingonline.co.uk, some bearings and aluminum extrusion from Misumi Europe. Various fasteners and other parts I ordered from aliexpress.com. It is around 110 types of parts for the project and has taken the last few weeks to find suppliers and arrange the orders.

I have not received my order from noulei.com yet but have so far have had a good experience with them. They sell higher end Hiwin and Syk parts on aliexpress.com and also have their own house brand. They pointed out some issues with the ballscrew end machining since I was using SYK parts and it needed to be done differently.

This was my request for quote to them:
    2x 1446mm, C5, ground, end machine per drawing
    1x 1177mm, C5, ground, end machine per drawing
    1x 365mm, C5, ground, end machine per drawing
    1x Ballscrew Nut 1605
    3x Ballscrew Nut 2005
    1x Flange Nut Mount for 16mm Ballscrew
    3x Flange Nut Mount for 20mm Ballscrew
    1x BF10 BEARING BLOCK
    1x BK10 BEARING BLOCK
    3x FK15 bearing block
    2x Linear Rail 15mm rail, 1390mm
    4x Linear Rail 15mm block
    2x Linear Rail 20mm rail, 1135mm
    2x Linear Rail 20mm rail, 450mm
    8x Linear Rail 20mm block

Quote Originally Posted by mshamber View Post
    Latest CAD model. Note that I did not design the gantry. I paid 30 usd for the model. It is the "ripper cnc". I just changed out the base by removing the aluminum extrusions and adding the granite-epoxy. I was thinking of making the rectangular sub base out of cement instead of epoxy. It only supports the granite epoxy table which will be supported by 3 points but no physical connection. To fit the gantry model I had to make the table larger which makes it weight in at 300kg according to the CAD software when modeling it as cement. This is a bit if a problem for me. I am planning to cast it in my attic and then take it out of the building by elevator to a commercial space (which I don't have yet).

Attachment 291060
    That is no problem, gravity makes it easier going down, than going up :wink:

Any update on this? I'm curious about what laser you're intending to use, got any links?

Cheers,

Fenza

Quote Originally Posted by mshamber View Post
    I have not received my order from noulei.com yet but have so far have had a good experience with them. They sell higher end Hiwin and Syk parts on aliexpress.com and also have their own house brand. They pointed out some issues with the ballscrew end machining since I was using SYK parts and it needed to be done differently.
    I'm thinking of buying linear/profile rails from Noulei, but for a plasma cutter. Have you used Hiwin rails and their house brand? Did you find them both to be of similar quality and performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_ View Post
    I'm thinking of buying linear/profile rails from Noulei, but for a plasma cutter. Have you used Hiwin rails and their house brand? Did you find them both to be of similar quality and performance?
    Becareful buying hiwin on aliexpress. alot of fake products.

i bought hiwin blocks and rails from automation-overstock very good quality and service.

hi,

Good day!
    We are cnc machining factory in china , if you need Customize Mechanical Design parts let me know, send us drawing ,we provide high quality and good price products for you.

Thank you!

James

E :[email protected]