584,842 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What connectors do you use?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: What connectors do you use?

I am not to electricity savy. All be it my knowledge is limited I have never heard of a wire limited to 16vdc or any other similarly low voltage. Can anyone give a reference to any wire for any application that is rated for such low voltages? Just curious but I'd hate to be surprised.

Ben

I've never seen a WeatherPack data sheet that included ANY voltage spec, other than voltage drop. They are rated for 20A max. current. The voltage rating of a connector has to do with the insulation capability of the housing, and really is not of any concern with the low voltages used for stepper motors. WeatherPacks are no doubt tested at 12-15V, since they are designed for automotive use, but that doesn't mean they won't perform just fine at much higher voltages.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Where does this information come from? Looking ar the delphi site it doesn't mention any voltage limitation, only current limitation.
    This link, first question. I don't know if this is a different version than Delphi or if they are the same.

As others have pointed out, it is hard to believe the voltage rating is based on concerns that the capabilities of the insulation will be exceeded.

This link ... Can Delphi-Packard components be used with voltages higher than those found in a 12v nominal electrical system? ... suggests some of the reasons for the low voltage rating.

Arching from frequent plugging and unplugging while live should not be an issue in the CNC environment. And they imply that there are many successful implementations in the field ... though the usual legal disclaimer indicates "its up to you".

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Best connectors I've seen, by FAR, for motor connections are "Speakon" connectors. They are made for PA speakers, but they are wonderful. They handle very high current, latch very positively together with a bayonet action, and are beautifully made, but not crazy expensive, available in cable mount and panel mount. I used them for all the servo motors on my knee mill conversion, and those motors can pull over 40A each. Never a single problem.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Agreed, these are great. I have used these on a big servo system I did on a mill. Very nice connectors.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

For those that are using SpeakON, CPC connectors and other mostly plastic connectors ... how are you handling the shield? I was under the impression that motor wire shielding was highly recommended. But maybe it is not that big a deal.

Obviously still learning,
    Arvid

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    For those that are using SpeakON, CPC connectors and other mostly plastic connectors ... how are you handling the shield? I was under the impression that motor wire shielding was highly recommended. But maybe it is not that big a deal.

Obviously still learning,
    Arvid
    I've never used shielded cables for the motors, only for the switches, encoders, etc. If you want shielded cables with steppers, you can't use Speakons.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Shielding the wires IS a very good idea Considering it is a basic 5v system. For those connectors you spoke of simply bring out teh Drain ( shield) wire and add a simple plugin wire terminal to it and then connect it in a star configuration to the System ground. JUST REMEMBER that the drains ONLY terminate on the origination point NOT on the other end. The outer end should be cut back and a piece of shrink tube be installed. When you are doing this you cannot allow yourself to create a ground loop. THAT can cause more problems than an unshielded system. Just remember than SOME connectors allow the drain to continue on on the outside of the connector. On those connectors you MUST terminate the drain wire before the connector. IF that drain can FIND a shorter path back to a ground it WILL causing a ground loop. You also do NOT include the Machine frame assembly in the shielding (drain) configuration. IT is a seperate safety issue and NOT to be confused with a drain system.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I've never used shielded cables for the motors, only for the switches, encoders, etc. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Shielding the wires IS a very good idea Considering it is a basic 5v system. ...
    Based on the information that Ray and vmax549 provided my conclusion is that it is reasonable to not shield the motors but must shield any sensor or low level logic lines.

Not shielding the motor cables seems a little strange as they are carrying a relatively high voltage that is constantly changing ... and therefore stopping the interference broadcast at the source would seem like a good thing. But shielded 4 wire stranded cable capable of relatively high current loads is neither readily available nor cheap ... igus is the only place I know of ... and there appears to be many non-shielded installations that work just fine so who am I to question "it just works".

Thanks,
    Arvid

Hey guys over in the DIY router forum there is this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1757376, which hopefully I just linked to correctly. There is an ongoing discussion about machine wiring and currently accepted practices. Especially useful are some links to PDFs for recommended practices.

The interesting thing here is that some things recommended in this thread, indeed things taught to me when I entered the field, are not considered good practice anymore. Things change and you have to keep up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    Based on the information that Ray and vmax549 provided my conclusion is that it is reasonable to not shield the motors but must shield any sensor or low level logic lines.
    This would be foolish, I urge you to bone up on what is considered current good practice. It makes far more sense to shield noise producers at the source than to try to keep the noise out of signal cables and the like. Motor drives can produce a lot of radiated noise under the right conditions, it is best to control that noise with in the system than to try to keep it out of other circuits.
    Not shielding the motor cables seems a little strange as they are carrying a relatively high voltage that is constantly changing ... and therefore stopping the interference broadcast at the source would seem like a good thing.
    Exactly. Now don't get me wrong the type of noise, it's intensity and scope depends upon the motor drive combination but good practice is to control any possible emission at the source.

But shielded 4 wire stranded cable capable of relatively high current loads is neither readily available nor cheap ... igus is the only place I know of ...
    You need to shop around, try Newark, DigKey or other online sources. The thing to watch out for is cables with high flex capabilities which you may need for drag chains and the like. Find a local electrical / automation house and buy only what you need.
    and there appears to be many non-shielded installations that work just fine so who am I to question "it just works".
    Whom are you? You are the owner / builder of this machine, you should question everything. Seriously, not all advice is good advice.
    Thanks,
    Arvid
    Now consider one thing, shielding ends up being broken by the use of connectors, minimizing connectors not only leads to a sounder electrical systems it can actually save you money. A coder grip or other entry method into a panel box is often cheaper than a connector that can fully maintain the shield. Machine manufactures these days may only have one connector in the drive / motor circuit and that would be at the motor. The cable otherwise remains unbroken from the motor to the drive.

The use of connectors should be looked at closely to determine if they are really worth the investment. In some cases we take the pigtails from a motor and connect them to a local terminal block that the shielded cable then connects to. Of course that connection approach needs to be protected itself.

Page 2 of 2 12