584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Miltronics problems

I bought a miltronics partner vk3 from 520 2 months ago. It lost the battery so the cmos failed on start up . Got it to start after a service guy came from local dealer. It doesnt keep the cmos so it has to be rebooted everytime it starts . after its running the screen seems to be pushed to the left and it doesnt respond then if i restart it again some of it responds partially . I was told it was a fully functional machine . it was missing the ribbon to floppy disc anyone have a vk3 that can gove me some advi
    se??

Re: Miltronics problems

Did you test-run the machine before you bought it? Did this problem happen from the very beginning? If so, you may want to have a discussion with the seller.
    He may have never powered the machine down and didn't realize the battery was dead.

Does this machine have a single-board-computer in the Card Cage?
    If so, the cmos batteries on all sbc cards do die. Later cards have battery sockets but the early ones are soldered on.

The cmos settings will need to be reset every time the sbc boots, but won't be read until the card re-boots. But when you re-boot with a dead battery, the card will probably re-load the default settings putting you back where you started.

The cmos has a setting for the display that may be effecting the way the screen looks. Replacing the battery and getting the correct settings might make the display problem go away.

If this is a SBC 556 card, send a PM to SportyBob, he can remove the old battery and install a socket for a replaceable battery for you.

The floppy ribbon cable is a standard B drive cable, the one without the twist. This link will describe that cable:
    Floppy Interface Cable

These are nice little machines, after you work out the problems, you will really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
    Did you test-run the machine before you bought it? Did this problem happen from the very beginning? If so, you may want to have a discussion with the seller.
    He may have never powered the machine down and didn't realize the battery was dead.

Does this machine have a single-board-computer in the Card Cage?
    If so, the cmos batteries on all sbc cards do die. Later cards have battery sockets but the early ones are soldered on.

The cmos settings will need to be reset every time the sbc boots, but won't be read until the card re-boots. But when you re-boot with a dead battery, the card will probably re-load the default settings putting you back where you started.

The cmos has a setting for the display that may be effecting the way the screen looks. Replacing the battery and getting the correct settings might make the display problem go away.

If this is a SBC 556 card, send a PM to SportyBob, he can remove the old battery and install a socket for a replaceable battery for you.

The floppy ribbon cable is a standard B drive cable, the one without the twist. This link will describe that cable:
    Floppy Interface Cable

These are nice little machines, after you work out the problems, you will really like it.
    It has new boards in it so the battery is small watch style...I have the keyboard to Reboot the settings..thanks for getting back to me...so after failure it will start but the screen will be a mess ? Do I tap on f1 to reset programming to get the screen back? The company has garaunteed a full refund if I want and also they would pick up a any service costs