585,567 active members*
3,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > angle drill head opinion please

angle drill head opinion please

I am looking at purchasing an angle head (indexable) from www.eltool.com. and they say it can be indexed in the spindle by changing the parameters. We need to drill id holes for a brz bushing and just curious as to whether or not its the best method??

Index the spindle by changing what parameters? The machine parameters!!??? You're playing a game with the tool changer doing that.

Also, what machine do you plan on using this for? A lathe or mill? Assuming mill, I've looked at these for some time but I have angle heads already so never had to actually get these. A way to index them is always an issue. Angle heads can't be indexed "on the fly", but different indexes can be set up with the tool. Some mills can "index" the spindle with an added command using a M19. Like a C axis on a lathe. Most can't....

You need to drill ID holes for a bushing.... are these blind holes inside a bore? Or the holes for air bleed out or some cross-drilled oiler?
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Yes, using M19; G10L50; N4077P1R (new value) G11; M19; from what I am told? - on a large machining center. The holes are blind and were only drilling 7/16 deep, inserting graphite plugs and then turning the id. 135 holes. So, if I can set up multiple parts and it works, I guess the tools worth 7400.00 bucks (ouch).

Wow, serious part though. Hope you're getting good money for it.

Just watch out for parameter writing like that. Depending on the machine, you'll have to reset the parameter back to original setting in program before any tool changing. Some machines have two sets to use. One to adjust in M19, and one for another M code to orient on toolchange or vice versa (like an M119 for example). Other machines will allow a M19C?? (or Q) to incrementaly change orient position based upon machine default (or parameter set) point.

Another thing, some machines won't allow you to write to some parameters in Auto. All you can do is try. Make sure you download your parameter sets (at the very least the value to the one your adjusting) before you play around....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

I am looking at getting an angle head and I am puzzled how anyone could 'index' one in the spindle. I thought a dowel pin on the head locates in a block bolted to the end of the spindle nose so the orientation is fixed.

the orientation is fixed by the rotation of the spindle, the drill is driven by through the spindle coolant.
    I seem to remember on a fanuc control you can issue a G/M code to rotate the spindle a given number of degrees. Is you control fanuc?
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!