586,000 active members*
4,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with dahlgren

So I managed to get my hands on an old Dahlgren system 300 that someone threw out. I salvaged it, and everything seems to be in working order, but it didn't come with any of the electronics. Purely the motors and base. I want to upgrade it for lathe work and wood working, so I can make figurine master mold. This is my first cnc machine, and i honestly can't find schematics, or instructions on the equipment I need or how to go about doing it. If anyone knows what motor controllers I need, and what electronics I need, please let me know or point me in the right direction. I appreciate the assistance.

Chris

Re: Help with dahlgren

The System 300's have different stepper motors depending on what year they were made. I run a System 300 and could use it for parts if your project doesn't work out. wayne at engravers dot net

I think for your application you may find the a new engraver with current software would be a better use of machine and time. A cheap Chinese model will have current windows and CorelDraw interface that can control the depth, most of the 300's had a pneumatic Z axis so there isn't any Z control as I would think you need.

Let me know if I can help with the mechanical parts of System 300 if you keep it.