585,599 active members*
3,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New small cnc router build

I have been lurking aroumd for over 10 years and finally got the courage (and the cash) to build my own cnc router. It has about a 2 x 2 cut area. It is wood with openbuild v rails and openbuild delrin v wheels. Driven by all thread rods. I wanted to start a build post mostly to ask questions about things i can not find a solid answer to on the forum. I have the machine together and i have been working on the eletronics part and now i am stuck.i am using the Long Motors DM542A and bob.

I have found a couple of threads about the wiring of this set up and i have attempted to wire the driver up with a common ground and +pul and +dir plugged into pin 2 and pin 3. As well as putting +pul and +dir to +5v and -pul and - dir to pin 2 and pin 3 with no luck. The motor has a thud when the power supply is plugged in. When everything is powered up then the motor ca not be turned by hand. I think i am setting mach3 correctly. Estop is set to active low pin 0, pin 2 & 3 active low, dir low port 1.the motors are 425 oz 4 amp 4 wire steppers. To move i have been just trying the arrow keys. The jumpers are set to 2.78 amp and 1/4 step. With the wire the driver connected with a common ground and +pul and +dir plugged into pin 2 and pin 3 i use a multimeter and check pin 2 and ground and i get a constant 5v dc.

Please help, electronics are not my thing.

I have attached a standard picture of the driver and bob i have.

Thank you for any help.

Richard

Re: New small cnc router build

Can anhone please direct me. I have searched and read mulitiple post on this as well as watching allt of youtube videos. I clearly understand all the various ways of wiring this setup as well as setting mach3 but i am still having the same problem please help

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

With the wire the driver connected with a common ground and +pul and +dir plugged into pin 2 and pin 3 i use a multimeter and check pin 2 and ground and i get a constant 5v dc.
    Jog back and forth, and measure in each direction. It should be 0V in one direction, and 5V in the other direction. If it's not changing, then chances are that your port address is wrong.

Also, are you using a 32 bit Operating system? If you're using a 64 bit OS, then the parallel port will not work in Mach3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That answered it. It is a 64 bit windows 7. I have linux cnc instakled on dual boot so i will try to go that route. Thank you. I can stop banging my head now

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk