585,754 active members*
4,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Jittering & Loosing Stepps, seems like a simple fix?

Jittering & Loosing Stepps, seems like a simple fix?

Ok, first off im sorry if I missed the correct location (forgive a n00b)

I'm a bit down because I invested in a £500 CNC machine, but yet to have gotten it to move correctly.

I believe its my mach 3 settings, but dont know what they should be?

Its moving, but here are the symptoms... I feel like its something easy and simple:
    1. Moves ok once up to speed, but looses steps on a long travel move
    2. Jitters and looses steps during accelerations
    3. Moves PERFECTLY when moving 2 axis at the same time, acceleration and normal travel speed.
    4. The problem seems to be more apparent after having left it still for 5+ mins.
    5. The problem seems to be less apparent after moving the axis for 2+ mins. But is far from flawless (Jitters/lost steps)

Heres a short youtube video of my problems.

Frequency Settings

Motor Pins

Motor Tuning

What have I tried:
    1. Various settings to trouble shoot the issue. But none have fixed it, just made the problem less noticeable, and sometimes worse.
    2. Different computer system. (Currently a: WinXP Pro (5.1, Build 2600), desktop, AMD Athlon 2000+, 1GB Ram, Normal Mobo Parallel Port)
    3. Fresh format WinXP Pro
    4. Not running any special software, just a fresh install of Windows, and a fresh install of Mach3 (Driver Version: D1.90.038)
    5. Checked all Hardware on the CNC machine, tight screws...

I dont feel like the machine is faulty since there are moments where the machine travels perfectly.

Please let me know
    Thanks everyone

Re: Jittering & Loosing Stepps, seems like a simple fix?

Are you using Remote Desktop to access the mach3 computer??? I know some have got it to work reliably but there is some overhead that may cause step generation issues.

Anyway with the 6xxx CNC's, most of the issues have been with the poor quality of the electronics. I would start with the hardware diagnose. Make sure the linear rails are aligned and the bearings run smoothly with no binding. Same with the leadscrew. You should be able to turn the leadscrew by hand and feel no binding throughout the entire travel. If you find any problems with any of the axes, fix them first.

Assuming your using mm/min, your Mach3 settings seem reasonable for testing. Not sure why you have the step and direction pulse so high but I use 5us on my CNC.

the 5 us setting should work.. 25 looking unnecessary..

you can check binding yet, but it looking very smooth..

computer should be a simple xp, no fancy modern computer, and stop everything in windows..
    mainly program updates and so on..

I saw (hear) similar with xylotex, that has some incredibly bad midband resonance.. and if so, then no settings will fix, but a whole new control..

the problem is, the machine itself a little jewel and most folks very satisfied.. except control...

also another control cost too much compared with the original price..

have you checked with the people that sold you the unit on what the setting should be? That would be a great place to start. They should have an manual that they could send to you.

As Victor mentioned, it looks like you may be seeing resonance. See this video on how dampers can help with resonance. You'd need dual shaft steppers to make dampers, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjivsVwSsQ

Other than that, better quality drives with anti resonance technology would also work, but you'd need to spend quite a bit of money.

Also, try going into the bios and disabling C1E if you have that option.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)