584,857 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > 3020T Arduino + GRBL + CNC Shield V3 Conversion

3020T Arduino + GRBL + CNC Shield V3 Conversion

SUCCESS! First post here but I wanted to share my latest CNC machine adventure. My previous experience is a Shapeoko 3 where I learned a LOT about CNC, CAM and general G-coding. I have on the way a 6040 but I also picked up a 3020 to do some tests on and to learn, its a limited machine but that limitations allows for less expensive screw ups.

Just for any one else looking to get a 3020, mine came with 1404 lead screws and NEMA 23 motors (1.8 deg, 200 Step), which gave me the following settings:

Full step : 50 steps per mm
    1/2 step: 100 steps per mm
    1/4 step: 200 steps per mm
    1/8 step: 400 steps per mm
    1/16 step: 800 steps per mm
    1/32 step: 1600 steps per mm (my A4988 drivers don't support this but it's theoretically possible with another driver chip)

Other issues are the Z-axis binding a bit if you go too quickly, but honestly you don't want to go the speeds it binds at (around 400mm/min). I have it limited to 300mm/min to solve this.

Anyways, here's the video of all the info:

https://youtu.be/7-YQ8cqFXP0

Hope to hang around more and learn!

Re: 3020T Arduino + GRBL + CNC Shield V3 Conversion

Nice job and thanks for sharing. It's a good option for someone buying one of these machines. The USB models were around $200 more expensive last I looked and the cost of your parts is around $40? You might want to upgrade the A4998 drivers to DRV8825 for more power.

I did something similar about 6 months ago. ( http://www.cnczone.com/forums/usb-rs...gineering.html ) Your video is great and would have saved me a lot of time.

Re: 3020T Arduino + GRBL + CNC Shield V3 Conversion

If you went with a genuine Arduino Uno, a genuine CNC Shield V3 and DRV8825 chips, the total cost would be about $90 all told. I went with clones of all the parts which totalled about $30, that was not without some hurdles, the clone shield has some jumper position swapping for the step settings (they differ from the original setting positions). Only took a few minutes and some elimination testing to find out the jumper positions on this clone shield.

I have to thank a whole bunch of pioneers that posted a bunch of info regarding this conversion so it didn't take me long I have some 8825 chips on the way, I'll see how they compare. So far I've cut some pretty hard woods and am enjoying the accuracy this machine has compared to my other machine.

I wanted to put together a comprehensive video on the conversion so others could share in the awesomeness of GRBL.

I believe the USB versions of these machines still run on Mach3, not my fave interface, so I prefer the options of GRBL.