585,754 active members*
3,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Issue at low power....

I wouldn't call it a problem necessarily, but something I want to find out more about. At low power, like 10%, the laser pulses. It most evident in paper and glass, but you can see the little dots, just like perforations. I'm pretty sure when I had it hooked up to the pot, it was consistent at all power levels. I can definetly see it flickering.

I think it has something to do with the PWM and frequency. I believe it's between 20 and 50 Hz. I have it set at 50 in Mach, which seems to have less pulsing than 20. Is there something I'm missing. Is this just what C02 lasers do at lower power? Is this the whole continuous versed pulsed thing? I believe mine was continuous wave. I guess I could up the power, and then up the feed rate proportionantly, but would like to get some opinions first.

Here is a total shot in the dark.

The lasing medium needs a certain amount of energy to reach the "lasing" excitation level and you may be giving it enough energy to get some of the particles up to that level and over time (milliseconds or less ) enough hit that level to give out a burst of light. Then the system has to build up again.

Basically your not getting enough power to the laser at that low power level.

just a guess based off of very little info and a lot of reading on lasers.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I think you, needs a good optical system.
    This China's laser is the DSP control, his electric current must be stable.
    Uses the software to control him,Possibly can be better.
    I hoped demonstrates my cnc,laser and model
    www.modelcn.cn