585,712 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sweep Twist

Sweep Twist

Any thoughts on how to keep geom horizontal as attached?

Re: Sweep Twist

Although Al sez that the profile doesn't have to be attached and perpendicular to trajectory. Try it attached and perpendicular anyway, maybe even attached to the midpoint of the trajectory. I'll try tomorrow.

I did get the model to untwist . Here is how I did it. I assume your trajectory is a helix and your profile is an elipse. I used cross section surface place the profile normal to the beginning of the trajectory ( same as a sweep). Than I rotate the profile 90* and advance 1/4 helixs' pitch. Copy as many times as needed to get to the end of the trajectory. This basically this b***h slaps Bob to unnerstan what Im talkin bout. Make sure the profiles attach point is the same as it advances thru the trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by LeWhite View Post
    I did get the model to untwist . Here is how I did it. I assume your trajectory is a helix and your profile is an elipse. I used cross section surface place the profile normal to the beginning of the trajectory ( same as a sweep). Than I rotate the profile 90* and advance 1/4 helixs' pitch. Copy as many times as needed to get to the end of the trajectory. This basically this b***h slaps Bob to unnerstan what Im talkin bout. Make sure the profiles attach point is the same as it advances thru the trajectory.
    Is there a chance that you could post the file?
    I tried that also but still had a slight twist. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks
    RAF

I dont know to attach the file from a mobile device, and because of Win10 security the Bob computer isnt on line. To create the model you dont need to create the helix but you do need to know its properties of diameter and lead. Create your profile in a non horizontal plane, away from Zaxis one radius. You have already done this. NOW rotate around Z 90* and translate Z-[lead/4] copy n times. Now using the cross section CAD stragety 'cross section surface' chain the profiles in order and direction.
    Caviat; the first sweep section will be distorted as Bob thinks the sweep is normal to the profile. There will be no twist, only first lap radial distortion. Trim to taste.

Thanks LeWhite

I got it to work using Skin

Thanks Again
    RAF