584,833 active members*
5,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > gibbs vs mastercam!

gibbs vs mastercam!

I have been using gibbs for 19 years .I started with mastercam and switched to Gibbs for the ease of use It is faster and with less windows to go thru to get final result.
    So why do you see more shops using Mastercam then Gibbs?.
    I see more on here people with knowledge not sharing ,or telling someone to call maintenance provider....witch we all know sucks!..

I have a huge vault of info. for anyone that is a true MACHINIST! no money involved..........
    Just share with me and I will share with you.

mill adv mill lathe mtm rotary mill 5 axis mill compost 2 compost 3

you can PM me

Re: gibbs vs mastercam!

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINEFREAK View Post
    I have been using gibbs for 19 years .I started with mastercam and switched to Gibbs for the ease of use It is faster and with less windows to go thru to get final result.
    So why do you see more shops using Mastercam then Gibbs?.
    I see more on here people with knowledge not sharing ,or telling someone to call maintenance provider....witch we all know sucks!..

I have a huge vault of info. for anyone that is a true MACHINIST! no money involved..........
    Just share with me and I will share with you.

mill adv mill lathe mtm rotary mill 5 axis mill compost 2 compost 3

you can PM me
    Hi.

I started with Mastercam too. Now I switch to Gibbs.

Can you help me to make the toolpath for ID Groove with 45 DEG.?

Pls open the Gibb file.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Re: gibbs vs mastercam!

One reason is that MC doesn't charge for posts. The thing is MC posts suck compared to Gibbs'. Never understood why Gibbs never promoted their post engine more. I my mind it's what puts Gibbs ahead of everyone else. To this day they are still anal about posts. The new Compost4 just came out and is tied the your Gibbs license maintenance and the documentation is online only. So if you go off maintenance you loose access to the documentation. At some point in the near future Gibbs will no longer work with .pst in favor of the new .post from Compost4. I think I'm nearing the end of the road with Gibbs because if I go off maintenance to keep the last version that supports my posts and my license server machine dies they won't reactivate it. So it's either spend another 3k for Compost4 or move on.

As far as sharing goes I'm more then happy to help.

To thienvu79

Your problem is roughing relies on rough stock. So you need to finish the bore first. Try adding an drill operation before your roughing operation that finishes the bore then redo your roughing and it will work.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

If mastercam could make using the software as enjoyable as cleaning the shop bathroom toilets, I would be more of a fan.

Learning mastercam has been horrible. They try not to get customers any understanding of how to use the product. The training videos when they rarely if ever happen involve careful strategy to omit neccessary details.

I think fushion is on the way to mopping the floor with them which is no good for people like me who chose the wrong investment.

I especially hate how none of the icons or buttons are self explanatory. Its awesome to work in something for years just angry and lost quite often litterally robbing family time to piss it away on mastercam.