585,670 active members*
4,633 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Pathpilot Compatible Fonts Request

Does anyone have any TTF fonts that they've added and used with PathPilot successfully that they would be willing to share and/or link to? I'm specifically interested in creating a thread where people share (of what they are willing to) fonts that have been tested and appear to work in the PathPilot Conversational Engraving Wizard.

I tried adding 3 TTF based fonts to PathPilot 1.9.2 but it doesn't like any of them. (I'm sure there are inconsistencies in these particular fonts that it doesn't like. If I felt like learning FontForge and editing every character, I could probably fix it, but not going to worry about that now.) Right now I'm trying some CAD/CAM generated engraving code, but next time I use the Conversational Wizard, I'll try loading a couple of system fonts and see how it likes it.

Re: Pathpilot Compatible Fonts Request

Oh yes, please. The fonts in PP are hideous. Don't even ask me about their choice of colors - grey and greyer. The few colors are washed out and generally blah.
    Entropy Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
    Does anyone have any TTF fonts that they've added and used with PathPilot successfully that they would be willing to share and/or link to? I'm specifically interested in creating a thread where people share (of what they are willing to) fonts that have been tested and appear to work in the PathPilot Conversational Engraving Wizard.

I tried adding 3 TTF based fonts to PathPilot 1.9.2 but it doesn't like any of them. (I'm sure there are inconsistencies in these particular fonts that it doesn't like. If I felt like learning FontForge and editing every character, I could probably fix it, but not going to worry about that now.) Right now I'm trying some CAD/CAM generated engraving code, but next time I use the Conversational Wizard, I'll try loading a couple of system fonts and see how it likes it.

Did you ever figure this out?

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Did you ever figure this out?
    The first three fonts I tried didn't work, at all. I rebooted the controller and tried again. Still didn't work. Later on, I came back to it and tried again at a much larger size (0.22" if I recall) and all of a sudden they worked. The first 3 fonts I tried didn't render in the GUI like the fonts do and they wouldn't post (no error message) My guess (and only a guess) was that I was trying to do them too small OR maybe the particular letters I chose the second time didn't have problems and the first time they did.

So, with that being said, Your mileage may vary. Next time I get back in the garage I'm going to try engraving font test pieces again with a new tool and I'll play around again and see if I can tease out what exactly caused the "no error / no file save dialog" condition.

Go ahead and try TTF files, just be prepared to play with it a bit. It really could have been my inexperience, possibly.

Check out these free ones: Fancy > Comic fonts | dafont.com

There is all kinds of stuff here............

I use a lot of these in Rhino for medallions etc.
    I would use the pathpilot feature but it doesnt have a center option for the Y axis.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Check out these free ones: Fancy > Comic fonts | dafont.com

There is all kinds of stuff here............

I use a lot of these in Rhino for medallions etc.
    I would use the pathpilot feature but it doesnt have a center option for the Y axis.
    Thanks, popspipes. I can find all sorts of fonts. I had a perception that the first 3 fonts I tried "didn't work"... on the second try I realized that there was some error condition that wasn't being reported and all 3 font files that I tried adding to the conversational wizard worked fine at a larger size. I was originally thinking that maybe the conversational wizard / Pathpilot was very picky about its fonts, but instead it looks like maybe there was just some combination of factors that was giving me problems the first time.

Your just adding the TTF files to the font folder in pp?

Is there any particular things to look for in a TTF for that works more often?

Thanks for the info this is really cool I hope I can get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your just adding the TTF files to the font folder in pp?

Is there any particular things to look for in a TTF for that works more often?

Thanks for the info this is really cool I hope I can get it to work.

Just added them to that directory. I did try to resolve some errors in font forge. It's a font editing program.

Fonts can have all sorts of inconsistencies, so I expect your mileage may vary. I found that custom fonts didn't work when they were too small. If I was better at editing them I might be able to make them work / fix the problem. I don't have the time or patience to learn font forge super well.

Best of luck. I'm going to see if there is an easy way to get a line version of a font.

Thanks quarky! I'd like to find a font that's a single line so I can use a larger bit. If I find one that works well I'll post it here.

Thanks quarky! I'd like to find a font that's a single line so I can use a larger bit. If I find one that works well I'll post it here.

Try this link: CamBam Stick Fonts
    I have downloaded these into windows, they are single line fonts, I use them in Rhino, I havent tried to load them into Pathpilot.

I just googled "free single line fonts"

Edit: I use some double line for Medallions etc, Rhino will use the .ttf fonts from windows.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Try this link: CamBam Stick Fonts
    I have downloaded these into windows, they are single line fonts, I use them in Rhino, I havent tried to load them into Pathpilot.

I just googled "free single line fonts"

Edit: I use some double line for Medallions etc, Rhino will use the .ttf fonts from windows.
    I was having lots of trouble getting non-stock fonts to work. Going back and forth with Tormach Pathpilot folks a couple times they found the problem and will be releasing an update. I tested a beta version where the problem was fixed. For you and others, if you are going to use custom fonts, rename them so they are a single-word name. Pathpilot isn't handling spaces (and I don't think it's handling underscores either as I had already renamed my files with underscores). Anyway, the beta version they gave me worked great. I was able to run all 9 stick fonts you recommended popspipes. Thanks! I think I'll tweak the fonts with a program called FontForge and increase the kerning (space between letters that are next to eachother) a little bit. I had some very nice results using a 1/16" ball endmill. I'm going to try a 1/32" *and* fonts that are spaced out an extra 0.001 or 2.

I was having lots of trouble getting non-stock fonts to work. Going back and forth with Tormach Pathpilot folks a couple times they found the problem and will be releasing an update. I tested a beta version where the problem was fixed. For you and others, if you are going to use custom fonts, rename them so they are a single-word name. Pathpilot isn't handling spaces (and I don't think it's handling underscores either as I had already renamed my files with underscores). Anyway, the beta version they gave me worked great. I was able to run all 9 stick fonts you recommended popspipes. Thanks! I think I'll tweak the fonts with a program called FontForge and increase the kerning (space between letters that are next to eachother) a little bit. I had some very nice results using a 1/16" ball endmill. I'm going to try a 1/32" *and* fonts that are spaced out an extra 0.001 or 2.
    I use the 30 degree engraving bits 1/8" shank carbide, (about ten bucks for a package of ten chinese on ebay)
    mike sr

You guys rock!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444936648984.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	294994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444936667016.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	294996

I did this over cerakote with an 1/8in Ball end mill

I did the whole rest of this vaporizer with the conversational

I downloaded the cambam stick fonts. I was hoping They would be single lines when using the pathpilot conversational engraving. But they come out as double lined (or outlined). Am I doing something wrong? Is there anyway to force just a single line text engraving in pathpilot?

Quote Originally Posted by extdrive View Post
    I downloaded the cambam stick fonts. I was hoping They would be single lines when using the pathpilot conversational engraving. But they come out as double lined (or outlined). Am I doing something wrong? Is there anyway to force just a single line text engraving in pathpilot?
    They probably need to be edited. I had problems with them like that but started to edit them in Font Forge.

They probably need to be edited. I had problems with them like that but started to edit them in Font Forge.
    Edit them in what way? When I open them in Font forge they are already single line. Is there something else I should be looking at?