585,700 active members*
3,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question TMC Motherboards

I have a PCNC1100 Series 2 that the controller motherboard finally gave up the ghost. I heard that the 14' models used the MSI-H61 motherboard w/LGA1155 processors. What are they using in the newer machines? Can someone look in and tell me what the hardware configuration is. I can't find a MSI-H61 in stock anywhere reputable.

I would rather get a new motherboard fix that machine then use the money saved to invest into a Series3 this Christmas. Not trying to go cheap but I have a limited budget for the shop.

Thanks,

Nate

Re: TMC Motherboards

Honestly, just about any "white-box" (homebuilt) x86_64 (64bit / amd64) PC should work fine. If you have a spare PC, you should give it a try before investing money trying to revive the TMC machine.

Tormach may not officially support it, but my PCNC1100 runs flawless with PathPilot on a whitebox PC. If you have trouble feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help in any way.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Honestly, just about any "white-box" (homebuilt) x86_64 (64bit / amd64) PC should work fine. If you have a spare PC, you should give it a try before investing money trying to revive the TMC machine.

Tormach may not officially support it, but my PCNC1100 runs flawless with PathPilot on a whitebox PC. If you have trouble feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help in any way.

Good luck!
    I do have a bunch of parts to make up a box so I am good there. I was thinking of grabbing the Tormach 6i25 PCIe (MESA) card and the new Path Pilot software and giving it a go. Been reading here a bit. The Mach3 is OK but I could use the new conversational programming. I am a bit old school and write my G code rather than CAD-CAM everything. Since there is no G12 and 13 this would help out a lot by speeding things up for development.

Quote Originally Posted by NMay View Post
    I do have a bunch of parts to make up a box so I am good there. I was thinking of grabbing the Tormach 6i25 PCIe (MESA) card and the new Path Pilot software and giving it a go. Been reading here a bit. The Mach3 is OK but I could use the new conversational programming. I am a bit old school and write my G code rather than CAD-CAM everything. Since there is no G12 and 13 this would help out a lot by speeding things up for development.
    Ah, ok, didn't realize you were looking at installing Mach3 (sorry, I forget that not everyone is on PathPilot now). Mach3 can definitely run on almost any white-box system if you have spare parts... although, I would use this opportunity to try out PathPilot =)

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Ah, ok, didn't realize you were looking at installing Mach3 (sorry, I forget that not everyone is on PathPilot now). Mach3 can definitely run on almost any white-box system if you have spare parts... although, I would use this opportunity to try out PathPilot =)
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I'll PM you for clarification.