586,005 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > More uses for Hobby CNC (Pictures)
Page 1 of 2 12

More uses for Hobby CNC (Pictures)

Our oldest son is an Airline Pilot ( Capt) who really likes Antique Bi Planes, so we decided to look for "project"..Boy did we find one: 1929 Travel Air Bi plane,that although completley disassembled , had not been modified for agriculture or other uses.An inventory disclosed none of the parts were missing, but several were really worn out ( fastner holes enlarged, cracks at welds etc.and the wood was in terrible shape.) But we drug it home ( should have seen our wife's faces when we drove up tp the house ! 1st thing they both said " Not in our garage !)

We further tore it apart, sent the wings to a real craftsman who had jigs for that plane. The motor mount was junk,the landing gear was real suspect, and a lot of the joints in the fuselage were cracked. We blasted the airframe with crushed walnut shells, really cleans, won't damage.Carefully disassembled the wood parts and made patterns. I tig'd in new bracing, fabricated and machined a new motor mount and landing gear parts, son made new wood parts and finished them as they did in the 1920's. When I got the Tree CNC Mill all converted and tested I was able to make a lot of small parts that would be impossible to find, was able to use Vector to draw and spit the tool paths out on some really one off parts. Even made new control cable pullys,using sealed ball bearings intead of metal to metal contact.
    I also used Vector to draw up a pretty complicated compass bezal, and am working on the rest of the insurments.

This is a slow project, my accident and a couple of moves have slowed it down, but we are moving foward...The wings are almost done, and soon will start covering the fuselage and the wings, tail etc.

The engine may be a stopping point for awhile..We sent the cylinders out for re-chrome, and they got lost..They were insured,and we are looking for another set , but so far no luck..

CNC has really helped us build parts, that with out that ability, we could never duplicate them correctly. I am amazed how well these parts were made in the 20's, I know some had to be hand filed out from stock..just no other way could they be built, but they were completley accurate..really neat, detailed pieces.

As we make progress , will up date this thread. Who flies it first ? We are both going to take tail dragger lessons, then flip a coin !

Does a crash on the 1st flight count as " He who dies with the most toys , wins ?"

Picture 1: This picture is dated 1934 in Ohio the plane was 5 years old. note the tail numbers, they will be the same when the plane is done .

Picture 2: Brought home the " Project", grandson real happy.

Picture 3: New motor mount, and machined and fabricated landing gear. The frame had been reinforced and TIG'd at this time.

Picture 4: All new spruce on the upper fuselage.

Picture 5: Different view of new spruce ( could not believe the cost of Aircraft certified Spruce..Gold is cheaper )

Picture 6: This is the compass bezal, copied in Vector, and G code to Desk CNC.. made the job easy..Wonder how they did that in 1929 ? Lots of skill and labor..

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jsw_plane%20007-3.jpg   jsw_plane%20005.jpg   jsw_plane%20003.jpg   jsw_plane%20002.jpg  

jsw_plane%20001-2.jpg   jsw_plane%20004.jpg  

could you fly this thing under a sport pilot license?

That is a truely awesome project. Thank you very much for sharing your story and piccies.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I sure missed this thread when it first started, very interesting.

How is it coming along ?

If you find the time more pictures would sure be welcome.

Also, larger pictures

Even after reading this way back then, I still get feelings of anguish over those missing cylinders!

It's just not right......it is a crying shame, one can't help but suspect sinister motives!

DC

Has anyone noticed that Adobe has not posted since 02-05-2007?

Anywhere that is.

Thanks Geof..yep, I was missing..short explination on my thread "manual to CNC lathe"

Still will be awhile before I can go back to work, but I'm much better,

Thanks again !

Adobe (old as dirt)

Glad you are back Adobe!

I was hoping to hear you went on a "Postal" cylinder hunt!:boxing:

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe Machine View Post
    Thanks Geof..yep, I was missing..short explination on my thread "manual to CNC lathe"

Still will be awhile before I can go back to work, but I'm much better,

Thanks again !

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Good to hear.

Adobe, (nice to see you back!)

This looks like a really fun project! My way into CNC-business was through a friend in the same glider club. I was only 15 when I first met him, he was 65 and had a big prototyping company. He's still a very energy giving person and uses all of his airplanes as much as possible (he got 12...). So of course there was a lot of "extra fixing" done late at night.
    He and another guy converted a Cessna 172 and a Piper Pawnee to Volvo engines, with a lot better fuel economy and less service fees, and they are running so smooth!

I must say, that saving an old airplane like you do is heroic! Those are lovely machines.

Regards,
    Sven

What a great find. Its great to see that people with the skills and the resources are the ones getting there hands on these planes and not the scrap yard people that just what the metal.

Look forward to seeing the end result even if its years away.

Colin

Very nice work.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Now THAT is what I call a project! I hope to see some more pictures as this baby takes shape.

Thanks for all the nice replies...Have not made much progress on that project this year..Limited by funds and some real physical limitations . Our son is taking tail draggers lessons, while maintaining a real full schedual flying for the air line he works for..

When I'm able, will transport the wings from Chandler to Pa., most likley in the fall, with some assembly planned.

The engine remains on "hold", still looking for the right one at a price we can afford..

Again thanks for the comments..

Adobe (old as dirt)

Adobe, I see you slipped back in !!!! Good to hear from you again. BTW what is the status on the missing cylinders?
    I'm still older than Older Than Dirt.
    DZASTR

Yes, thanks Richard, I feel great, will get back to work on my projects next week, have needed no pain meds for 2 weeks now, hands have almost quit shaking !

Using your dictionary ( German to English )a lot on the ATC project... if we are able to deliver the wings this fall,( to Pennsylvania) will give you a call..possibly return the dictionary in person !

Thanks to every one.

Adobe (old as dirt )

Adobe, Keep the dictionary, postage is worse than the price of the book. Been replaced. I'm still nosey, what's the status of the missing cylinders? Sorry if this is a sore spot. I figure it has you PO'd. Personally, I'd talk to somebody from the Soprano's.
    Maybe you can time your PA trip with the EAA convention in Oshkosh, WI. That is an aircrafters dream!! Later
    DZASTR

Well, I should have known better and checked out everything..But we shipped, declared a value ( totally wrong..I should have researched and added the factor "what if"..anyway we accepted the payment offered
    ( which was exactley less 10% what the declared value was) from the shipping company.

Earn,snooze or lose..The payment from the shipper is substantially less than any complete engine we can buy..my bad ...."ASS-UME..YEP, GOT US ! When things settle down then we can approch buying a used, rebuildable core, or buying one out right...(only if one of us wins the lottery..) Just an uninformed
    (read poor)decision that at some time in the near future we will deal with.

Adobe (old as dirt)

great pics, more when you can please

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    Very nice work.
    New to CNCzone and when I logged in this am, I had a note saying that I've never posted and ought to say "Hey." So, Hey! Good morning. 55 yr old, 30 yr machinist, Now disabled due to heart surgery but with my own home shop. In answer to the question above about what to do when it's too short. That's why I always had two rules, a standard 6" machinist rule and one I made that was 6" but marked to show that it was 8 inches. Always messed with apprentices when I measured their work. And seemed to have me the envy of my wife's friends. Just never tell her you have two rules! Does this count as a Machinist Post? Glad to be in the deep end of the pool. Rick, Smoky Mtns of NC.

Page 1 of 2 12