585,581 active members*
3,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Double Sided Tape? Really?

Double Sided Tape? Really?

It always seems like CNC milling loses a lot of functionality because of required clamping. So, I have been reading how others are holding parts while machining. One extremely interesting method that many seem to be using is double sided tape such as that used by carpet installers. Does this seriously work for machining aluminum parts on a mill? Do feed and cut depths need to be cut down significantly to use tape? How much surface needs to be covered with the tape? For example, I have a part now that I machined in a vice that measures ~ 3.5x4.5x1. The open enterior is machined out leaving a "C" shaped object of the same dimensions but with only .35" walls or approximately 4.4 in^2 total surface area that would be in contact with the fixture plate after contouring. Is that enough for the tape to hold the part?

Thanks.

I think not. I use a speciality tape , not carpet tape to help hold small parts down while sucking a vacuum through bleeder board. The forces involed in milling aluminium would be too much.

double sided tape is used quite often on hard to hold aluminum or plastic parts , there just needs to be a certain amount of common sense in using this method

Yes, like thin parts and a small/sharp high speed cutter to minimize tool pressure.
    When a part held down with double stick tape comes loose it usually makes a mess of scrapped material and cutters.

That part is big enough to hold using traditional methods.
    You would take 10 - 20 times longer to mill using tape as a holder.
    I have used carpet tape but due to its thickness it tends to compress and move around a lot.
    I now use a heat activated sheet made by Mitee-Bite it is very stable.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca