585,949 active members*
4,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 45 Torch sugestions...

Are the cuts with the machine torch much better than the hand torch if they are both running on the same CNC machine?

Just a quick look and the consumables are the same with the exception of the shields?

CR

Re: Powermax 45 Torch sugestions...

It is obvious mechanized torch is better than handheld, even carried by cutting machine. Otherwise, why need special mechanized torch?Hanheld torch is not fit for the torch holder; Even if it can be fixed, the THC function will be failed. If you insist on “handheld+CNC+THC”, you need to separate the plasma and cable of handheld torch, then assemble again precisely.For mechanized one, just fix with torch holder and start working.

From one manufacturer, consumable are almost the same, just the shield for handheld has one tool to measure distance. Handheld torch has switch for manual arcing and arc breaking; while the switch for mechanized in on the controller. So they are different.
    AngelBlade air plasma cutter
    www.abplasma.com

Aaron, I don't believe it is obvious, that's why I asked the question....

The mechanized torch can be mounted easier and is hardwired rather than having a switch, both of which that can easily be overcome.

The PM45 is probably the most popular cutter being used on CNC machines, and it's being used with both torch setups, I just wanted to know if there's any noticeable difference in the cuts, one to the other...

Thanks...

The Powermax45 hand torch and machine torch cut exactly the same, and can use the same consumable parts. Hand torch is designed for hand cutting and must be activated by the trigger switch. If used as a machine torch it is more difficult to mount in a way that will ensure perpendicularity to the material being cut. It is also necessary with a hand torch to modify the start circuitry in order to electrically interface to the cnc machine.

The Hypertherm machine torches mount easier, interface easier (using the CPC interface connector) and are more robust under the higher duty cycles and reflected heat expected in mechanized cutting applications.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    Aaron, I don't believe it is obvious, that's why I asked the question....

The mechanized torch can be mounted easier and is hardwired rather than having a switch, both of which that can easily be overcome.

The PM45 is probably the most popular cutter being used on CNC machines, and it's being used with both torch setups, I just wanted to know if there's any noticeable difference in the cuts, one to the other...

Thanks...

Thank you for Jim's kind help!
    AngelBlade air plasma cutter
    www.abplasma.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bruce View Post
    Thank you for Jim's kind help!

Just goes to show that Hypertherm offers a quality product and backs it up with knowledge and service, something that offshore copy's of someone else's work has a hard time with.