585,687 active members*
4,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Wood Lathes / Mills > Manually adjustable locking rotary axis

Manually adjustable locking rotary axis

I'm having trouble finding a way to accomplish something. I would like something resembling a lathe chuck and tail stock to mount to my cnc. I have found plenty of these units online, but they seem pretty expensive and I don't want to deal with checking carefully to make sure that my adjustments are correct on the dial. If you can imagine a rotary axis that I can place a piece of wood in, and lock down. Then after machining on the top of this piece, be able to quickly unclamp the unit, rotate the piece 180 degrees accurately, and then lock it down to machine a plane on the exact parallel opposite face. I'd like to be able to lock it down at each 90 degree increment, but 180 degrees is all I really need. It seems like it shouldn't be this tough, but in all my searching, I keep finding units that seem way too expensive or complicated.

On a side note, I understand that I could hook up a 4th rotary axis to a motor tied into my cnc controller and achieve this. I have a 3 axis unit, and I'm trying to accomplish this without having to tie in another motor and re work my cnc's control box.

Re: Manually adjustable locking rotary axis

Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos