585,991 active members*
4,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Tool Library Tips/Tricks Fusion 360

Tool Library Tips/Tricks Fusion 360

Hi Everone, I'm new to pretty much everything and I'm getting ready to setup my tool library using Fusion 360. I'm wondering if anyone has an tips for a newbie. Thank you in advance, I appreciate your input very much.

Re: Tool Library Tips/Tricks Fusion 360

Does everyone just start out with the smallest bits? I'm assuming this is normal, but do you have a separate list for cutters, measuring devices, etc.

Is there anything that you wish you would have thought to do when you first started?

I went this route since I was new to CNC and didn't want to confuse myself needlessly. I took my tools and numbered them all. My starter set of End mills contained 20 end mills. Drill bits are all numbered. Those tools each have an entry in my tool library. I spent the time to define them all. 147 tools in total. I did this as well in the Mach3 tool library. When I call the tool in Fusion that 's the tool I call at the mill.

I relied on FSWizard Lite to get some beginning numbers for RPM's for each tool. I then made adjustments to those tools as I used them more and more and found what works for me.

It was more easy for me to keep track of them this way.

Thanks Kenny, I take it it's worth it to enter all the details and feed n speeds right off the bat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was for me. You will go back for a while and change values but you'll do that anyway when you find things that work well on your machine.

Thanks for the help bud, much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm at the same task now but I was wondering about the feed/speed settings.. I'm using 2 flute carbine mills for wood and aluminium but the feed and speed on those two materials are different so is it really worth the time to input all these details? I'm just starting out here so I'm not experienced at all but to me it looks like I'm going to use the same tools for various metals and then at variable settings.

fusion 360 seems to be the craze, I downloaded it yesterday to check it out.....I'm a total newbie on cad/cam........It's gonna take me awhile to figure that crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by m1n1m View Post
    I'm at the same task now but I was wondering about the feed/speed settings.. I'm using 2 flute carbine mills for wood and aluminium but the feed and speed on those two materials are different so is it really worth the time to input all these details? I'm just starting out here so I'm not experienced at all but to me it looks like I'm going to use the same tools for various metals and then at variable settings.
    Building to the tool library in Fusion is intended to be a time saver when doing the CAM portion of the work. If you like to run your 1/4 4 Flute Carbide end mill in Aluminum at 3000 rpm and 27 ipm to maintain a .003 per tooth chip load then having that defined in Fusion will help fusion do the math correctly on the adaptive tool paths. It also allows the post processor to tell the machine the correct RPM for tool in the G code without you having to edit the G code after it's bee generated. You don't have to build that information into the Fusion. You'll just have to remember to define it in the code after the post processor is done generating it.

I do enter those data when I'm making toolpaths but I change then after what G-wizard says about speed for the various materials I'm working with. Can fusion do this automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by m1n1m View Post
    I do enter those data when I'm making toolpaths but I change then after what G-wizard says about speed for the various materials I'm working with. Can fusion do this automatically?
    Once you know what speeds and feeds you like for each tool you can enter that in the tool table and that will be the default for that tool. You can still change it on the fly while doing the tool paths. I use the defaults as my starting point for aluminum as that's what I work in most.

Since the added the ability to filter by material in Fusion when selecting a tool I suspect the plan is to be able to build tools with feeds and speeds for different types of material so that at some point you will have the same tool defined in different materials with the appropriate speeds and feeds.