586,000 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone use their 4th axis to machine large parts flat?

Anyone use their 4th axis to machine large parts flat?

I need to machine some large 11.5" diameter 1/4" plate and saw a video on tormach's site where they show it being done.
    Anyone here ever done that?
    I have an 8" tilting table so not sure all of my tools will clear since it is so tall.
    I would be facing and machining.
    Thanks
    Nathan

Re: Anyone use their 4th axis to machine large parts flat?

Here is the link to the video showing the large plate being machined on a 4th axis in the horizontal position -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EK0XazMZqQ

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I need to machine some large 11.5" diameter 1/4" plate and saw a video on tormach's site where they show it being done.
    Anyone here ever done that?
    I have an 8" tilting table so not sure all of my tools will clear since it is so tall.
    I would be facing and machining.
    Thanks
    Nathan

That's a good video, but wow, it really takes a lot of keystrokes to get the part done.

One thing he didn't touch on is how do you hold a part that big with no tooling or hold down holes.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I think the person who made the real part had a chuck that clamped a spindle on the bottom of the part that was screwed to the bottom. It was a part for a telescope and there is a video somewhere on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    That's a good video, but wow, it really takes a lot of keystrokes to get the part done.

One thing he didn't touch on is how do you hold a part that big with no tooling or hold down holes.

I did something like that once with a manual mill that was limited in Y. I wanted to surface a 12-in square plate and double-side taped the workpiece to the top of the rotary table. It worked well enough since only light surfacing cuts were needed, but it was a bit tricky to get everything lined up right and to get the machined plate off the surface plate.

It seems that leveling/shimming the 4th axis base is critical.

QUOTE=MichaelHenry;1770310]I did something like that once with a manual mill that was limited in Y. I wanted to surface a 12-in square plate and double-side taped the workpiece to the top of the rotary table. It worked well enough since only light surfacing cuts were needed, but it was a bit tricky to get everything lined up right and to get the machined plate off the surface plate.[/QUOTE]