585,741 active members*
5,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > DIY BLDC / DC Motor Servo Drive - ARM MCU (STM32F103C8T6)
Page 16 of 25 61415161718

Re: DIY BLDC / DC Motor Servo Drive - ARM MCU (STM32F103C8T6)

Quote Originally Posted by lemonbee View Post
    Hey guys do you have any interesting idea to improve the performance in low velocity? I found there was some shaking in that mode.:wave:
    Changing the pinout and using the ST-Micro recommended alternate compliments solves the shakes and this is noted in an earlier post so look for it.

Oh, wait, you're using that cheap STM32F103C8T6 piggy-back board so you have to make do with what you have.

It's a shame with all these STM32 programming experts not one has been able to make any real changes to the code to take advantage of the improvements advised and recommended by the ST Micro engineers and I'm getting tired of providing free hardware to help those programmers have the hardware to do the work but then don't produce anything after receiving it.

While I now have my own product for a reliable AC/DC drive (24V-160V) the inexpensive solution for the hobby market is still waiting to be code completed and based on the progress over the last 7 months, I'm beginning to think that no one wants anything publicly available that works correctly as they struggle to make the original Mihai design work correctly (which it can't) and focus on this design rather than working with the better design which makes no sense.

Using a current sense amplifier with a gain of 14:1 means that at 10A and a shunt resistor of 0.01ohms (instead of 0.1ohms) the output is 1.4V (instead of 1.0V) making heat much easier to deal with. and better tracking and current management easier to manage.

Attached is the eagle schematic for those who may be interested in seeing the final electrical design.

Quote Originally Posted by dwalsh62 View Post
    While I now have my own product for a reliable AC/DC drive (24V-160V) the inexpensive solution for the hobby market is still waiting to be code completed and based on the progress over the last 7 months, I'm beginning to think that no one wants anything publicly available that works correctly as they struggle to make the original Mihai design work correctly (which it can't) and focus on this design rather than working with the better design which makes no sense.
    If a project is not going to be open sourced, this is the wrong forum to be talking about it. Please leave the discussion of such items off the open source controller board forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    If a project is not going to be open sourced, this is the wrong forum to be talking about it. Please leave the discussion of such items off the open source controller board forum.
    I have not disclosed the details of my personal project, only mentioned I have one and my discussion is about the open source project that is going nowhere really fast.

If you have read anything more into it then you have interpreted what I have written in error.

It's been more than a month, JFStockton has made no changes and in fact has been MIA for over 10 days now, I really hate to say it but it seems that this project will never be completed because anyone with STM32 programming knowledge/experience isn't around to do any programming.

It sucks to have such a good design go to waste but it's beyond my control.

Is this project so difficult that it can't be completed and everyone is stuck using a poor implementation that has unwanted issues as a result of the original design?

I have no issues providing the hardware for coding purposes but I'm tired of providing hardware for free with no results.

Adding encoder index signal and encoder error sensing (2 lines), adjusting the current sense code to accept dual lines using a current sense IC with a gain of 14:1 and a DC link line are about the only areas of coding that need to be taken care of.

PCBA production cost on the board would be cheap and a suitable motor would bring it in at around $100.00 a set making it an ideal candidate for an affordable stepper replacement but without the code, having any made would be a waste of time and money.

At this time I've added the copper jumper, ignore the DC-Link, the encoder index and error signals and use only one of the current sense lines and stutter/shaking is non-existent with the slightly modified Mihai code so the basic electrical design enhancements have been tested and verified to improve performance significantly.

If someone capable is serious about completing this project let me know, I'm tired of knocking on doors with no results.

If you wish to contact me please make direct contact at HERE.

the funny thing about moderators is, they have no legitimate personality, so they hide behind an admin account while picking and choosing which persons to harass.

sort of like the IRS, or the feds, or worse, your local city council.

Quote Originally Posted by dwalsh62 View Post
    ... I'm beginning to think that no one wants anything publicly available that works correctly as they struggle to make the original Mihai design work correctly (which it can't) and focus on this design rather than working with the better design which makes no sense.

Using a current sense amplifier with a gain of 14:1 means that at 10A and a shunt resistor of 0.01ohms (instead of 0.1ohms) the output is 1.4V (instead of 1.0V) making heat much easier to deal with. and better tracking and current management easier to manage.

Attached is the eagle schematic for those who may be interested in seeing the final electrical design.
    One thing about this project thread that throws me off is the talk about "code" but I have no idea where the most current code is to be found.
    I'm interested in the concept and code examples, but I don't have a bldc motor nor a STM32 product. Hence I can't fully participate at this point.

Do you have the most current code for the STM32F103TBU zip file? I would like it in source code, not hex.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    the funny thing about moderators is, they have no legitimate personality, so they hide behind an admin account while picking and choosing which persons to harass.

sort of like the IRS, or the feds, or worse, your local city council.
    I find that a rather ignorant statement and take personal offense at it, it is aimed at the moderators that use their own time to eliminate all the chaff on a daily basis from such a large site as this for your benefit, and eliminated before any members see it.
    They are committed to enforcing the forum policies, which BTW was not composed by them but by the site owners.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

AL the man I for one want to thank you and the other mods on the zone for a great job.In my plus 10 years here I think You guys have been more than fair Thanks Guys

Thank YOU :cheers:
    Al.

Albert E.

Al The Man,

Thank goodness you are here, otherwise I would be totally out of control.:bat:
    Keep up the good work.

Live from downtown burbank home of the super deluxe mud pie bismark.
    Joey B
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I find that a rather ignorant statement and take personal offense at it, it is aimed at the moderators that use their own time to eliminate all the chaff on a daily basis from such a large site as this for your benefit, and eliminated before any members see it.
    They are committed to enforcing the forum policies, which BTW was not composed by them but by the site owners.
    ATM, first, why would you make such a response, common sense escaped you and you had a desire to interject some personal dis-satisfaction to gain some human interaction?

Second, it has been my experience that EJ's remark is spot on, you don't hear any comments or posts from good MOD's and peoples experiences are based on interactions so any intelligent MOD who acts with courtesy and respect goes unknown, un-noticed and ignored and understands that concept and, you're supposed to be doing this thankless job because you like and want to give back to this community and seeking public gratification by remarks is in itself inappropriate.

The biggest issue and, you above all should already know, is that every persons ability to determine inappropriate, offensive, abusive behavior is different and it has been my experience that the MOD's yield powers, act first, show no courtesy and lack intelligence and I speak first hand and wendtmk is just an example of one such MOD, now as a (self proclaimed good) MOD why would you further pollute this thread and contribute to wendtmk's nonsense rather than let it just scroll way or better yet, remove his posts and the response to it since you have stated this is part of your job tasks.

If you get personally bent out of shape over EJ's comment then your ability to be rational and objective as a MOD is now non-existent and time for you to hang up your badge and turn in your weapons but if you're from Quebec a trip to Wakefield in the fall just before the river freezes over would be more appropriate and if you don't understand this comment let it go, it's an Ottawa/Canadian anti-Quebec thing and you wouldn't understand.

Just a reminder !!

NetiquetteINAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE:

The use of inappropriate or offensive language in is not permitted in these forums including, but not limited to messages, signatures, user names, or any other area which may contain user input for public display. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. We ask that you please be considerate to other members in the forums when posting your messages.

HARASSMENT & FLAMING:
    Our members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members or company. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forums topic and/or members.

Criticism
    Criticism is permissible, as long as it remains objective and does not contain any contents that may damage the business. Subjective criticism that only serves to degrade the person in question (abusive criticism) or injures in a defamatory or depreciative way or contains other illegal contents, is not permitted. Contributions containing such or other illegal contents will be deleted by the forum operator.

Albert E.

AL The Man,

You and all the moderators got to be good putting up with me for the last eight years. Thank you and everyone else your dedication and time sacrifices to make the Forum my favorite of all.
    Live from downtown Burbank home of the free cup of Joe.

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Stop trolling! Get back to the topic!!

So far I have only seen the source code in Pascal style programming.
    Was there a "C" version of the project?

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    So far I have only seen the source code in Pascal style programming.
    Was there a "C" version of the project?
    It's posted on this thread multiple times. By a quick browse it seems that the latest source provided by Mihai is attached on post #142. I have mine at GitHub - pekkaroi/bldc-drive: Cheap and simple brushless DC motor driver designed for CNC applications using STM32 microcontroller but it is still incomplete and I haven't found time to finish.

Pekka

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

Thanks, Pekka.
    The samples of zip files from mihai I downloaded were all pascal versions so I stopped looking.
    Yes, the post #142 is in "C".
    I'm more in the "Arduino" camp so the "C" version seemed more compatible, but pascal can be translated too.
    I currently don't have a DC brushless motor since all my CNC motors are steppers and used a G540 to drive them.
    However, I have an interest in doodling with some PID stuff and an ac/dc sewing machine motor. An experimental triac version has shown promise but I haven't completed it.

With Spring here, some gardening work may delay further developments.

Whose in charge of the project now, who's managing the project now?

Hopefully someone is, if not then we're in more trouble than anyone realizes and it's a recipe for a major disaster.

I don't have the time to be a major contributor and while I can code, I don't understand the STM32 enough to make it stand up and dance, my experiences are with STM32F030K and limited to MAX6675 based projects which transmit data over USB for temperature tracking purposes.

I've run some tests using the Mihai code on a breadboard using the original Mihai PWM pinout and then switching the PWM compliments to the alternate compliment PWM assignment and I can confirm a significant response/performance increase and correct me if I'm wrong, it's my understanding that these changes came directly from ST and that these changes are the direction the project is (should be) moving in.

I've measured the PWM signals from the original and alternate compliments and can understand/see why there is low RPM stability and stuttering using the original compliments pinout and the datasheet is not clear about the differences in the delays and this can potentially cause a lot of confusion as to why ST recommends the alternate compliments when the datasheet is not so black and white about it.

Based on my understanding of the advantages of the updated pin assignment after running my general tests and that this schematic was updated by an engineer at ST, I've produced several boards based on the schematic from post #296 and purchased the IC's and USB connector for them so if someone needs a board to work from it can be arranged.

So, the important question now is, is there anyone involved in this project who is capable of programming the firmware in a reasonable time frame or is it just a group of people who want the product but lack the skills to contribute any coding?

I've looked at the CubeMX software and while it does give some encoder related sample code, none of the sample code utilize an index signal in a servo application so I'm not sure how it ties into things or why it's even advised/recommended by ST.

I'm going to take the next few days and look at some other similar projects and see if they can shed any light on the encoder index signal.

Another one I don't understand is the encoder error signal, since no details exist and the person who did know is no longer permitted by the moderators to contribute, is it's purpose to disable the drive in the event of an encoder error/failure?

Does it or will it self reset when the error clears or should we force a pwr-reset?

I can test the error signal and it does go high when I disconnect a line or short a line but as soon as I un-short or reconnect the line the error line goes immediately low indicating a non error condition.

I've also spun the encoder at 7,600RPM (my test motor max RPM +/- 3%) and the error line does go high indicating an error but as soon as the RPM drops down to around 6,000RPM the error signal goes low so there is some entropy involved in the MAX3097E/MAX3098E.

The test encoder is a 2500PPR Quadrature Encoder by Tamagawa, part number TS5214N5600 / OIH48-2500P8-L6-5V (3,000RPM rated - obviously capable of higher).

So what's the next move or is everything still in a clueless state???

Quote Originally Posted by websrvr View Post
    ... Whose in charge of the project now, who's managing the project now?
    As I understand it, the OP is in charge of the thread. He takes it however far he wants to. If others assist and the OP wishes to push it further, then that is what happens.
    There is no obligation for the OP to "develop it further" if he chooses not to.
    Anyone can take the bulk or all of the open source project and start a new thread to push it further, or in a different direction.

...So what's the next move or is everything still in a clueless state???
    The OP has not responded for some time, so I take it that further work is not planned, or available, at this time.

Any further criticizing of moderators will result in instant banning. No questions asked. If you reply to this post, your banned. This is your warning.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 16 of 25 61415161718