585,978 active members*
4,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wink Fiber optics!!!

HI,

I am setting up my electonics box for my mill.I have an idea to share with you.It might already someone think of that, but i think that my idea will be a useful solution to a small "problem".Do you need to see the state of the controller(remember the small blue led?)each time that you fire up your machine?And when your controller lies inside one corner of a dark box how you can see his state????
    The thing is that you don't want to put a soldering iron to an SMT(even if you have a soldering iron for SMD) board manufactured by a robot,just to pull two wires to the front of your box to place a LED.The solution is simple...Use an optical fiber on top of the LED of the controller to the front of your box.You should drill a small hole in the front of the box so the optical fiber exits.Don't worry about the small diameter of the o/f,the blue led is high brightness and you could see it from a mile!!!
    I dont know if that idea is useful,but you never know...

By the way did anyone know if it is good for my controller to have common ground with my gecko drives?should i insulate the controller from the box's gnd or its ok?

Thats all..
    Bye!

lucite rod will do the same and can be shaped with a heat gun.

Aaron