585,555 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Clock

CNC Clock

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I have to admit, I'm mildly overwhelmed at the number of forums, so my apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My girlfriend loves two things (other than me); NYC and vinyl records. My goal is to make a clock face out of an old record (most likely an extra Sinatra I have lying around) with the NYC skyline silhouette. The top of the record would be cut out to leave the silhouette. I'm in the process of tracing the skyline onto a 12" diameter circle on AutoCAD, but this is time consuming and I feel there must be an easier way to go about this.

Basically, I'm looking to CNC the record, seeing as laser cutting would produce chlorine gas and damage the cutter. I plan on using a lower rpm and feed rate when using the CNC as well as a very small mill, but I have no clue how I can program this skyline into the part. If there is a program that could help with creating the g-code, it would be much appreciated. For reference I've included the image I am using for the skyline and another to get an idea of what it will look like when complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f56fa1e80a5af4b18874faa875b20b15.jpg  

Re: CNC Clock

Why don't you just trace the line onto the record itself, and use a jeweler's saw to cut it? Here's an example: German Jewelers Adjustable Saw Frame

If you've got a CNC machine, though, that's big enough, all you need is a CAM program to translate the DXF file into a toolpath. Since all you need is a 2D toolpath, one of these free programs should be sufficient: Free CAM Software Just find one that will accept a DXF file as input.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you for the help! I ended up using CamBam to generate to g-code. Now all I have to do is figure out how to program my part zero into that from the CNC so that it cuts in the proper place on the record.

Just zero from the center of the record, so it balances either side. You'll need to maybe go over it twice, the second time allowing a fraction of an allowance towards the center, as I suspect when you machine it, you'll end with raised jagged edges. A second pass taking the closest of shaves off, or using a compressor blowing air onto the cutter path will fix that.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!