585,554 active members*
3,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma U10m :getting program to run
Page 1 of 2 12

Okuma U10m :getting program to run

Hi All,

We recently purchased a new to us 2001 V4020 mill with a U10M control. Its a really nice machine for 2001. It has 2000 hours, 15000 rpm spindle, renshaw probe, 4th axis and a few other options.

Our problem is know one knows how to run it. We are standing there with books that make no sense it seems.

What i would like to know is how to get a program from the computer into the machine and get it to where we can push cycle start.

I am sure we can figure out the tool off sets and such but just getting it to the point of cycle start would be a big help.

Thanks,

Kirby

Re: Okuma U10m :getting program to run

Basically you have two options for transferring programs.

1. MS-dos floppy (Or you can buy a USB drive that fits in place of floppy drive)
    2. RS-232 connection

You have to decide which one to use and go from there. Or if your programs are simple you can write those on machine using edit. Here is a link for floppy to USB unit.

Tero

we are connected via a cable but not through RS232. Its a LAN cable. This machine was supposed to have the early version of ethernet.

We can see the program at the controller that is on the computer(whether or not the post is correct is another issue for later) but how do we get it to load and run.

I can navigate through the various screens and find the program but i am missing the info between there and cycle start.

also...what is DNC-B and how does it differ from DNC-T

i have DNC-B on my machine...i have rs232...i have a switch on the back that says buffer I/O but i am told i cant drip feed...

and just to clarify...the LAN cable is connected inside the main electrical panel to a port that says"LAN" not to the RS232 port..

We do not have ethernet on our Okumas. So I am unable to help you on this one. But for sure you need to set correct IP-address ETC ethernet setting to get it working.

Tero

what would you do to load the program at the controller? I have the Ethernet working and we have sent files back and forth between the controller and the computer. We are stuck at how to get from seeing the program file from the computer to getting it loaded into auto operation so we can push cycle start.

Hi,

Press Auto mode. Then press program select from soft keys(under panel F keys) If program select is not visible press Extend until it is. After pressing program select input name of program you loaded ie. test.min I believe you know Okuma programs have to have .MIN as file type?

Oh,

To see programs in controller memory press Edit-Aux then dir. If you have a long list you can scroll by BS key(It is Back Space not B**S**=

thanks for your help. We have actually made a bit of progress. I loaded a program from the computer( not sure how i did it and cant duplicate it but i did it) and we actually got it to run( a few post issues but it ran nonetheless).

it makes for a long day when you feel your spinning you wheels but tomorrow is another day and i will have a few more questions to post

my issue today is how do we copy a program from the TC: directory to the MD1: directory?

I somehow fluked it yesterday and i even managed to overwrite the program(totally by accident)

What we are doing is using filezilla on the computer and we save our NC code programs to there. From there we can see them on the controller in the TC: index. But that is where we are hung up.Also, is MD1 the controller memory?

MD1 is the controller memory, On a U10 control this directory will be very small. You can run the program straight from the TC directory. TC: is the server HD0; is the on board flash drive basically the same as a FANUC data server

Just use a *.SDF file that is stored in MD1, you can use this to call from any directory, samples below

PSELECT HD0:ROUGH.MIN (RUN FROM HD0 DIRECTORY)
    PSELECT:ROUGH.MIN;S (THIS IS FOR CONTROL RUN METHOD S)
    PSELECT TCA:ROUGH.MIN (RUN FROM TCA DIRECTORY)
    PSELECT HD0:\O6001.MIN
    END

To copy from network to NC memory:

PIP>COPY>TC:FILE.MIN,MD1:
    WRITE

Tthe wildcard * can be used to pull up a directory list to choose from.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    To copy from network to NC memory:

PIP>COPY>TC:FILE.MIN,MD1:
    WRITE

Tthe wildcard * can be used to pull up a directory list to choose from.

Best regards,
    if i try to enter this i get " 300 device name error 'TC' "

Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    MD1 is the controller memory, On a U10 control this directory will be very small. You can run the program straight from the TC directory. TC: is the server HD0; is the on board flash drive basically the same as a FANUC data server

Just use a *.SDF file that is stored in MD1, you can use this to call from any directory, samples below

END
    This is what happens when i enter these commands. I am doing it in "auto operation mode" as that seemed to make sense as you push auto mode button...then program select...then type the above commands and then hit "write"

1.PSELECT HD0:ROUGH.MIN (RUN FROM HD0 DIRECTORY)....i get "300 device name error 'HDO' " if i use the letter "o" and "355 sector device uninitialized error 'HD0' " if i used the number"0".

2.PSELECT:ROUGH.MIN;S (THIS IS FOR CONTROL RUN METHOD S)...i get 5427 DNC-DT program select error ' 11'

3.PSELECT TCA:ROUGH.MIN (RUN FROM TCA DIRECTORY).....again 5427 error

4.PSELECT HD0:\O6001.MIN....command syntax error 6

i think i am close to sorting this out. It is just something minor or its something on the computer side. I have all the manuals for this machine but they have to be the most confusing piece of literature ever written. The explaination for the 5427 error....."DNC-DT program select".....that really helped sort it out...( insert sarcastic roll of the eyes here)

i am in touch with the dealer and they are going to help but any info i get now will go along way to solving it with them if i dont get it first from help on here.

Thanks for you help so far..

Kirby

Not quite, Save the text as a file CALL.SDF

END

Then is auto run a schedule file, You will need to have a program called Rough.MIN in the HD0 directory, Do you have a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    Not quite, Save the text as a file CALL.SDF

END

Then is auto run a schedule file, You will need to have a program called Rough.MIN in the HD0 directory, Do you have a manual?

I have all the manuals...2 copies of each. I will have a look and see what i can find. Got a hint at which one or which section to look.

Also, where would i save the file CALL.SDF?

I think i understand but if not i will just end up chasing my tail for another day on this...

I would Guess programming or special functions manuals, You are looking for schedule file

Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    if i try to enter this i get " 300 device name error 'TC' "

Are you sure you used the colon?

Have you tried a directory display on your TC: device? If that works then my listed command will.

Hi guys....

I am still at this. I took some time off. Where I stand with it now is I believe the flash drive/ hard drive is gone or not working. I have no issues loading small programs from the Tc drive through dnc-t on the program operation/editaux. But there is no HD drive to be found. We have ran through a few different things and were advised to try to initialize the hard drive. When we do after about 5 minutes we get a 5428 alarm with 100 at the end. If we so the same process with the drive unhooked we get the same alarm.

I have 2 questions....how do we confirm it's the drive and is there a way to bypass that drive so we can just drip feed from the computer or use another drive. I have to be able to drip feed as we are doing mould work and the programs are to large and to complicated to break down.

Sorry if the post is a bit scrambled....i am trying to summarize several hours of trying various things into a post.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12