585,768 active members*
4,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to add a compressor to a laser cutter.

I would like to add a compressor to a Chinese laser cutter 130w , it comes with a small air pump and piping.
    It will be wonderful to cut plywood like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9HWfIfNxjs
    My question is, how many bars should a compressor have to achieve the same as in the video ? And which lens length do you think they are using
    Regards Isak

What do you mean by how many bars on a compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvid22 View Post
    I would like to add a compressor to a Chinese laser cutter 130w , it comes with a small air pump and piping.
    It will be wonderful to cut plywood like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9HWfIfNxjs
    My question is, how many bars should a compressor have to achieve the same as in the video ? And which lens length do you think they are using
    Regards Isak

Re: How to add a compressor to a laser cutter.

I don't recall the conversion but I usually run about 20 psi, with a separate nozzle not through the cone. Rabbit laser has some instructions to wire into the control with a solenoid....recommended! Plywood might run higher so a regulator is helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOKC View Post
    What do you mean by how many bars on a compressor?
    He means how many psi should he be using to get the results in the video.

bar is a metric atmospheric pressure measurement. 1 bar = 1 atmosphere = 14.7 psi at sea level.

bob

So a small "airbrush" compressor there will create 4 bar / 59 psi of air pressure, will be large enough to create similar results as in the video ? and again do you have any ideas which lens length is used ?

Not sure what thickness the plywood is, doesn't kook to thick. I think they are using a 50mm or maybe a 38mm lens by the picture. 130w should not be a problem, probably cutting OK up to 3/8" thick once you figure everything out.

I think they are using more like a 100 mm lens and focusing in the center of the material

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    I think they are using more like a 100 mm lens and focusing in the center of the material
    My bad, hadn't looked at the link on my phone. watching the video, you may be correct, but the lens still seems too close for that (bad camera angle though)....maybe a 75mm lens then, focused in the middle. Good cut whatever they used....however, it's not plywood, plywood at 18mm would be a more difficult and variable, this is probably chipboard with laminate top.

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    My bad, hadn't looked at the link on my phone. watching the video, you may be correct, but the lens still seems too close for that (bad camera angle though)....maybe a 75mm lens then, focused in the middle. Good cut whatever they used....however, it's not plywood, plywood at 18mm would be a more difficult and variable, this is probably chipboard with laminate top.
    I think you're right it's not plywood, I think it is solid wood of unknown species...
    Do you know any good tutorials or spreadsheet on combination of lins length vs air pressure ?
    Do you think more air pressure with make Deepercutts ?